Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vostra Morte

That One Guy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a:
3.71cGPA / 3.64sGPA / 24Q (6VR, 8PS, 10BS)

Graduating BS Biology
1000+ volunteer hours in a clinic
200 hours shadowing (2 MD and 1 DO)
LOR from that DO (CCOM alumnus)
Few club memberships (Bio and Pre-Professional)
Taught, not assisted with, Biology laboratories (major and non-major)
Started my own holistic research, which I got my own grant for
Research abstract published at conference, no manuscript
Was a licensed pharmacy tech for 2 years

Im more worried about the MCAT. I really am interested in DO, do not prefer MD. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is great but your MCAT verbal score is going to hurt you. I have heard of schools screening students who get less then a 7 in any section. You should call and ask the schools you are interested in if they screen in such a manner. I would say you got a shot at DO, apply broadly. Is their a possible retake in your future?

Your GPA is great but your MCAT verbal score is going to hurt you. I have heard of schools screening students who get less then a 7 in any section. You should call and ask the schools you are interested in if they screen in such a manner. I would say you got a shot at DO, apply broadly. Is their a possible retake in your future?

I have already re-taken, expecting scores at end of August. I'm not quite sure how I felt about the re-take either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be a shoo-in at my school, unless your verbal Englaish skills are poor and we can't understand you. Otherwise, the 6VR isn't going to hurt. You'll get plenty of interviews.

I have a:
3.71cGPA / 3.64sGPA / 24Q (6VR, 8PS, 10BS)

Graduating BS Biology
1000+ volunteer hours in a clinic
200 hours shadowing (2 MD and 1 DO)
LOR from that DO (CCOM alumnus)
Few club memberships (Bio and Pre-Professional)
Taught, not assisted with, Biology laboratories (major and non-major)
Started my own holistic research, which I got my own grant for
Research abstract published at conference, no manuscript
Was a licensed pharmacy tech for 2 years

Im more worried about the MCAT. I really am interested in DO, do not prefer MD. Thanks for any help!

your verbal mcat score is too low. you will not meet any cut-offs for mcat. you should re-take it as soon as possible

your verbal mcat score is too low. you will not meet any cut-offs for mcat. you should re-take it as soon as possible

Who are you with your single post knocking this person down? There are loads of DO schools that would still take you with a 6 VR. Very few actually "screen" you out based on individual section scores.

Hope your retake turns out better for you. Good luck!

i agree with goro, those ecs and that gpa make up for a 24 mcat. get your secondaries in asap tho

One post and this is all you cough up? 6VR is a yellow flag, but come on.

MCAT Re-take came back!

Not much better but I'll take it,

26N: 8VR, 7PS, 11BS.
Still no interview invites :(

MCAT Re-take came back!

Not much better but I'll take it,

26N: 8VR, 7PS, 11BS.
Still no interview invites :(
The 26 is much better than the 24 for DO--but not MD. You will definitely get multiple DO interviews.