Do I have any chance at getting into an MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChrisMack390

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all - I would love a general sense of my chances and any other pertinent advice. I didn't do so well in college, but 2 years later I have "seen the light" as it were and have been working my butt off to compensate. All comments/suggestions/etc are appreciated. Unfortunately taking more undergraduate level classes is not an option for me right now.

Graduated from Northeastern in 2013 (applying next cycle to begin in 2017)

Country/state of residence - New Jersey

Schools to which I am applying - Definitely the 3 NJ state MD schools; not quite sure otherwise (would love advice here); schools I have 'flagged' include Albany, Rush, U Vermont, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, NYU, and a couple of SUNYs.....I'll also likely throw in a couple of fliers, but these are ones I see as potentially reasonable

Cumulative GPA - 3.3
Science GPA - 3.2
Note on GPA - I did get all As my senior year both semesters and have been doing great in my grad program, so I may get some "upward trend" credit there...

MCAT Scores - First take is September 12th. I know this is a big missing piece to the puzzle, but I also know without an excellent score I am hopeless, so lets assume I get a quality score for now (or I will be considering other career options anyway...)

Research – published 1 paper in undergrad; worked/working in industry and clinical research for about 5 years cumulatively

Volunteering – by time I apply I will have: 100 hours tutoring GED students in the rehabilitation program of a state run psychiatric hospital; 150 hours volunteering in a local homeless shelter; completed at least 1 if not 2 research projects on accessibility of cancer care in Malawi with a group called Global Oncology; worked in "Peer Health Exchange" something like 40 hours (taught health class in poor high schools)

Physician shadowing – Shadow an oncologist at my job for at least a few hours every week; by time I apply I will have ~100 hrs of dedicated shadowing (this does not include the 'incidental' shadowing related to clinical research job)

Extracurricular activities - my biggest boon here is likely that I have produced a full length album of original music, performed live all over New England, and founded/ran a live music event production company for 4-5 years. In all honestly this was a large distraction from my collegiate performance, but I gained many networking and leadership skills. A large piece of my personal statement will be that I was successful in this area but did not feel fulfilled and am seeking a more wholesome career.

Employment history - currently employed at Dana-Farber; began as a clinical research coordinator and was promoted to regulatory coordinator about 1.5 years in; job offers direct patient contact and daily exposure to clinical and academic medicine; will have been here 3 years when I apply

Graduate degrees - currently working on a Masters degree in Biology (3.9 GPA; all science/math classes)
 
I would say you have a strong chance for an MD with that graduate GPA and assuming you get a decent MCAT. Definitely see an upward trend. Depending on your MCAT score, I would apply in-state and very broadly.
 
I'm not sanguine with those numbers. DO schools, sure.

Hi all - I would love a general sense of my chances and any other pertinent advice. I didn't do so well in college, but 2 years later I have "seen the light" as it were and have been working my butt off to compensate. All comments/suggestions/etc are appreciated. Unfortunately taking more undergraduate level classes is not an option for me right now.

Graduated from Northeastern in 2013 (applying next cycle to begin in 2017)

Country/state of residence - New Jersey

Schools to which I am applying - Definitely the 3 NJ state MD schools; not quite sure otherwise (would love advice here); schools I have 'flagged' include Albany, Rush, U Vermont, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, NYU, and a couple of SUNYs.....I'll also likely throw in a couple of fliers, but these are ones I see as potentially reasonable

Cumulative GPA - 3.3
Science GPA - 3.2
Note on GPA - I did get all As my senior year both semesters and have been doing great in my grad program, so I may get some "upward trend" credit there...

MCAT Scores - First take is September 12th. I know this is a big missing piece to the puzzle, but I also know without an excellent score I am hopeless, so lets assume I get a quality score for now (or I will be considering other career options anyway...)

Research – published 1 paper in undergrad; worked/working in industry and clinical research for about 5 years cumulatively

Volunteering – by time I apply I will have: 100 hours tutoring GED students in the rehabilitation program of a state run psychiatric hospital; 150 hours volunteering in a local homeless shelter; completed at least 1 if not 2 research projects on accessibility of cancer care in Malawi with a group called Global Oncology; worked in "Peer Health Exchange" something like 40 hours (taught health class in poor high schools)

Physician shadowing – Shadow an oncologist at my job for at least a few hours every week; by time I apply I will have ~100 hrs of dedicated shadowing (this does not include the 'incidental' shadowing related to clinical research job)

Extracurricular activities - my biggest boon here is likely that I have produced a full length album of original music, performed live all over New England, and founded/ran a live music event production company for 4-5 years. In all honestly this was a large distraction from my collegiate performance, but I gained many networking and leadership skills. A large piece of my personal statement will be that I was successful in this area but did not feel fulfilled and am seeking a more wholesome career.

Employment history - currently employed at Dana-Farber; began as a clinical research coordinator and was promoted to regulatory coordinator about 1.5 years in; job offers direct patient contact and daily exposure to clinical and academic medicine; will have been here 3 years when I apply

Graduate degrees - currently working on a Masters degree in Biology (3.9 GPA; all science/math classes)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say you have a strong chance for an MD with that graduate GPA and assuming you get a decent MCAT. Definitely see an upward trend. Depending on your MCAT score, I would apply in-state and very broadly.
Grades in Master's programs do little to remediate weak undergraduate performance (for MD schools).
 
I put my grades into the AMCAS and AACOMAS calculators today. It is not quite as bad as I thought actually:

AMCAS: 3.44 cum / 3.22 sci

AACOMAS: 3.50 cum / 3.33 sci


The really frustrating thing is if I delete my entire sophomore year, my AMCAS gpa bounces up to 3.6 / 3.4. If only I got decent grades that year...

I am still holding my optimism that if I do really well in grad school and the MCAT and can earnestly write in my statement/secondaries about a new level of motivation and maturity at least 1 school will give me a chance....