Do I have any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c00013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I started my fall semester (2014) of freshman year at a community college and ended with a 3.3 GPA. I then transferred to a university (was a guaranteed admissions student) for the spring of 2015 and literally none of my credits transferred. To sum it up, I finished my freshman year with a 2.05 GPA at my university (my university does not factor in the community college GPA).
I had a bit of a setback with some medical problems and was not able to preform to my best ability while away at school and am now taking a medical leave and some online classes to help my GPA and get things under control with my health.
I am going to be transferring to a new university in the spring of 2016 because my current school did not work out for me that well.
Do I have any hope for going to medical school in the future? How can I fix my GPA?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Your university may not factor in CC GPA, but AMCAS does fyi

2. Sorry to hear about your issues.

3. Do better in classes. DO schools allow for grade replacement (you can retake a class and it only looks at your better score)

Hi everyone,
1. my university does not factor in the community college GPA
2. I had a bit of a setback with some medical problems and was not able to preform to my best ability while away at school and am now taking a medical leave and some online classes to help my GPA and get things under control with my health.
3. How can I fix my GPA?
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Your current cumulative GPA would be 2.7 then
If you get a 4.0 for the next 3 years you could get a 3.5 :)
It's not over

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your current cumulative GPA would be 2.7 then
If you get a 4.0 for the next 3 years you could get a 3.5 :)
It's not over
let's assess this overly-confident response: OP had a 3.3 gpa in a community college. How in the world do you get a 4.0 at the university level?

OP my suggestion is the following:
1. find out what you are technically good at. There is no harm in choosing an easier major where you maintain your health and also your grades.
2. If you can only handle the minimum credit load, start with that at your new uni. You will thank yourself later.
3. Don't worry about completing undergraduate on time, focus first on the grades. Remember that doing a post-bacca is kind of like extending your undergraduate anyways so choose which path you want to take (I would personally try reviving current path and completely forgetting post-bacca).
4. Shadow DO doctors while you are at it to maintain some back-up options. After all, your goal is to become a doctor right? Don't delay the process by getting your head stuck in the default crowd. DO will also allow you grade replacements where you GPA can be much higher.

let's assess this overly-confident response: OP had a 3.3 gpa in a community college. How in the world do you get a 4.0 at the university level?

OP my suggestion is the following:
1. find out what you are technically good at. There is no harm in choosing an easier major where you maintain your health and also your grades.
2. If you can only handle the minimum credit load, start with that at your new uni. You will thank yourself later.
3. Don't worry about completing undergraduate on time, focus first on the grades. Remember that doing a post-bacca is kind of like extending your undergraduate anyways so choose which path you want to take (I would personally try reviving current path and completely forgetting post-bacca).
4. Shadow DO doctors while you are at it to maintain some back-up options. After all, your goal is to become a doctor right? Don't delay the process by getting your head stuck in the default crowd. DO will also allow you grade replacements where you GPA can be much higher.

Anything is possible, I believe in the OP.. If the OP is dedicated/motivated he can do it!

Anything is possible, I believe in the OP.. If the OP is dedicated/motivated he can do it!
hopefully but providing a method would help more. Plenty go on to think they can get a 4.0 following semesters but they don't understand how.

hopefully but providing a method would help more. Plenty go on to think they can get a 4.0 following semesters but they don't understand how.
Okay, I do agree with you there. I was just pointing out to the the OP that it isn't all over. :)

Reactions: 1 user
(1) Yes, it is possible. It is never too late. Worst case scenario you could just do a postbac.

(2) If you had a borderline 3.2 GPA, then maybe I'd understand. But a 2.05? Most medical schools needs a 3.7+. I think you just need to think to yourself, truthfully, why you didn't do well in those classes. Community college classes are a super light breeze compared to the menacing tempestuous fury of med school classes. If you know what you were doing wrong, and you change that, then, and only then, do you have a chance at med school.

(3) How are your non-academic activities coming alone? research? volunteering? extracurricular bull****? interaction with professors? shadowing?

(4) May the force be with you, my friend. :owle: