do i have to do an audition? help plz...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillyfornia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently decided to do anesthesia. my problem is that my schedule is already set up for another specialty (EM). the only sub-I that i can get at my school is from late sept to late oct.

i was wondering if i need to do an audition to match anesthesia. my concern is that if i scheduled an audition rotation after my sub-i, it would be from late oct to late nov. i figure that would mean that i wouldn't get a LOR into my application until dec/jan which is too late. on the other hand, i'd rather not do an audition before doing my sub-i b/c i might not look too good.

so i was thinking about not doing an audition. is that okay? will i be able to match somewhere competitive (california)? my application isn't that great (did well on step 1/grades are avg/no activities) and i don't come from a big-name school. is one anesthesia rotation from your home institution enough to match at a good program? or do they want to see you do at least 2 rotations? if so, would it be better to do an away before or after my sub-i? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

phillyfornia said:
i was wondering if i need to do an audition to match anesthesia. is one anesthesia rotation from your home institution enough to match at a good program? or do they want to see you do at least 2 rotations? if so, would it be better to do an away before or after my sub-i? any help would be greatly appreciated.

One rotation at your home school is enough to match.

You definitely do not need a sub-i to be successful in an away rotation.

Aways are definitely helpful particularly if you're very interested in applying to THAT program or if said program might not consider you otherwise (i.e. it's a competitive program and you want to meet the faculty, get a foot in the door). But you don't need them. One home and one away is nice; I think 2 aways are too many.

phillyfornia said:
i recently decided to do anesthesia. my problem is that my schedule is already set up for another specialty (EM). the only sub-I that i can get at my school is from late sept to late oct.

i was wondering if i need to do an audition to match anesthesia. my concern is that if i scheduled an audition rotation after my sub-i, it would be from late oct to late nov. i figure that would mean that i wouldn't get a LOR into my application until dec/jan which is too late. on the other hand, i'd rather not do an audition before doing my sub-i b/c i might not look too good.

so i was thinking about not doing an audition. is that okay? will i be able to match somewhere competitive (california)? my application isn't that great (did well on step 1/grades are avg/no activities) and i don't come from a big-name school. is one anesthesia rotation from your home institution enough to match at a good program? or do they want to see you do at least 2 rotations? if so, would it be better to do an away before or after my sub-i? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would do a rotation at home, that way you can get your feet wet in a more comfortable environment where you can learn and make your mistakes and it will be no big deal. It's home. By doing this, you can hone your technique/procedures/knowledge base and get a letter of recommendation at the same time. Then you can do an away rotation at the program you would most want to go to. Even if it is in Oct. or Nov.-- it may work in your favor by you doing a rotation at the beginning of a lot of school's interview seasons. By the end of your strong away rotation (since you got better from doing the first rotation at your home school), you will be fresh on the minds of the attendings and residents when you interview at the end of your rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
phillyfornia said:

And I wouldn't stress to much about not doing a Sub-I prior to do an audition rotation. From my experiences, most anesthesiology rotations aren't looking for you to be an ace of the specialty from the jump. Simply reading while you are on your rotation will be sufficient in most cases-- Sub I or not.