Do I have to do clinical stuff for my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulthrowaway

Reaction score
I am applying next cycle and plan on doing Americorps for my gap year, in a non-clinical capacity like environmental conservation. I have lots of clinical experience from working throughout college in the ER. Would it be appear odd to an adcom if my gap year was not involved with patients at all?

@LizzyM @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with gyngyn although you might be asked why you chose to do something that is neither clinical nor helping people directly (if it is geared at helping the environment rather than social service or education-related.)

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying next cycle and plan on doing Americorps for my gap year, in a non-clinical capacity like environmental conservation. I have lots of clinical experience from working throughout college in the ER. Would it be appear odd to an adcom if my gap year was not involved with patients at all?

@LizzyM @gyngyn
I think it's great to get involved in environmental conservation and Americorps always looks really good on applications. I would also suggest looking into a specific AmeriCorps program - the National Health Corps AmeriCorps program. This is one is more health centered with direct service, but they also allow you to do outside service that can coincide with environmental conservation. I did the program down in Florida, and had lots of opportunities to get outside. NHC

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are truly in the middle of nowhere, I would see if you could volunteer 2-4 times a month at a local "free" clinic. You will learn a lot and I have not lived in a medium to large city that does not have these type of clinics. Probably would work out to be 4-20 hrs/month (depending on their schedule and your level of free time) but will make you look good and remove any anxiety about this. I also think it is important to stay exposed to clinical medicine as a personal motivator. I say this to incoming M1's too. Easy to lose sight of the end goal.

As far as I'm concerned ... it's not odd to me at all.

Have you noticed more than a few adcoms and attendings on SDN have a cat, or a dog, or some other animal in their avatar?

Some of my current and former residents and med students have spent some off-duty time volunteering with local pet rescue and adoption groups.

They love being able to LOVE the animals ... and the animals LUV the extra attention, too!

Agree with @Goro ... not every activity has to be related to human medicine. :cool:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I served in AmeriCorps during my gap year! It's a great opportunity and demonstrates your commitment to service. If you're interested in service-oriented schools, AmeriCorps can be a huge boost. In my interviews, I've been able to use examples from my AmeriCorps term to demonstrate to mission-driven schools that I am a good fit for them.

If AmeriCorps and environmental conversation is something you're passionate about, go for it! Not everything you do has to be tailored to your application. My main goal for my gap years was to enjoy myself and take some time off from clinical work and I'm very glad I did.