Do I have to have my Step 2 scores back to get an interview now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am off cycle as a 3rd year and will not get to take Step 2 CS until the beginning of Sept and Step 2 CK until late October. Therefore, I should get my CS around the first of Nov and CK around middle of Dec.

I know that programs are stressing Step 2 more and I am curious as how this may affect my interviewing. I am pretty much an average applicant numbers wise. Have passed everything first try and US MD. Just not sure if they will want my Step 2 scores before granting me an interview or is just having taken them is enough.

Everyone I asked at my school had their scores back already and could not advise me. So, that is why I am asking here.

I was hoping to do a little better on Step 2 CK and wanted a few more weeks to study why I am waiting on late Oct instead of early.

I would appreciate any insight anyone may have that has currently dealt with this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If the step 1 numbers are weak, I would absolutely try to get the step 2 scores in by the time by the time you apply to maximize your chances (even though most mid-tier programs would grant you interviews regardless). Is your schedule too tight in the next six months that you can't start reading now and be ready for the exam mid-August?

If the step 1 numbers are weak, I would absolutely try to get the step 2 scores in by the time by the time you apply to maximize your chances (even though most mid-tier programs would grant you interviews regardless). Is your schedule too tight in the next six months that you can't start reading now and be ready for the exam mid-August?

yeah. September would be my first real time to study. They are not weak per se. Just average.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of places are you looking at? We have interviewed numerous people who only have step 1 but having it passed is always a plus.

I think you should be ok.

Back in the day, everyone took their steps at the same time as everyone else. It was less flexible, but much more fair and straight forward. Simpler times I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Being "off-cycle" is more of a red flag. I took my step 2's around the same time you did. No one cared including Duke and Emory. I did not apply NE or Cali or to any VERY competitive place though. I'm a little older, but I haven't seen much change in the step 2 arena except at the more competitive places.

Being "off-cycle" is more of a red flag. I took my step 2's around the same time you did. No one cared including Duke and Emory. I did not apply NE or Cali or to any VERY competitive place though. I'm a little older, but I haven't seen much change in the step 2 arena except at the more competitive places.
What is off-cycle?