Do I have to report this...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a class from a community college when I was in high school. I never used it as college credit but only as high school credit. Do I have to put this on my AMCAS application when I apply? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't think so if you did not use it for college credit. You may want to call AAMC just to make sure though.

I think that you do have to report it...

Members don't see this ad :)
you're definitely supposed to report it. i took two cc classes in highschool, the second of which i dopped after realizing i didnt need the credit in highschool. unfortunately, this was after the drop period and i received a D+ on my transcript which ended up being the first grade on my amcas. it came up in one or two interviews and they assured me that it didnt have any impact on my outcome so i wouldnt really worry about it.

you're definitely supposed to report it. i took two cc classes in highschool, the second of which i dopped after realizing i didnt need the credit in highschool. unfortunately, this was after the drop period and i received a D+ on my transcript which ended up being the first grade on my amcas. it came up in one or two interviews and they assured me that it didnt have any impact on my outcome so i wouldnt really worry about it.

The only reason I don't want to report it is because I will have a 3.49 GPA without it and a 3.50 with it. Although, I really don't know how much of a difference a 3.50 and 3.49 will make, if any. What do you all think?

Lucky for you that it will boost your average because it might even help boost you over some automatic cutoffs. All of the college courses you ever took are supposed to be reported, even if you didn't apply that CC class to your regular undergrad. The CC will have it on your transcript there. The year taken will also show up. So, when they actually eyeball your classes it will be obvious that it was taken during high school.

The only reason I don't want to report it is because I will have a 3.49 GPA without it and a 3.50 with it. Although, I really don't know how much of a difference a 3.50 and 3.49 will make, if any. What do you all think?

Well, all other reasons aside, you should check with AAMC whether you need to report it, or not. My understanding is that all post-secondary coursework must be reported and all post-secondary transcripts submitted. I recommend checking with AAMC on what to do; it's the safest and most definitive approach.

i believe you are supposed to report ALL college level coursework (even if taken in HS). so report it!

you don't have to report it. i took a biology class and lab (in senior year in highschool at a college) and also took a precalculus class at another college during highschool. i never reported it for college and so it never really counted i guess and i didn't have any problems from my undergrad or med school. i mean it wasn't like i was hiding grades either both were As and probably would have boosted my BCMP.

you don't have to report it. i took a biology class and lab (in senior year in highschool at a college) and also took a precalculus class at another college during highschool. i never reported it for college and so it never really counted i guess and i didn't have any problems from my undergrad or med school. i mean it wasn't like i was hiding grades either both were As and probably would have boosted my BCMP.

The fact that you did not report it doesn't make it right...not criticizing your actions - AMCAS has created a monster - just questioning your conclusion about the necessity or lack thereof based on what you did or did not do...I don't have this dilemma, but I am pretty sure that that these courses must be reported...to wit, from the AMCAS instructions:

When entering course work, you must include information and corresponding grades
for every course you have ever enrolled in at any U.S., U.S. Territorial or Canadian
post-secondary institution, regardless of whether credit was earned, and including
any courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic
bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies.
This includes, but is not limited to:
• Courses from which you withdrew.
• Courses for which you received a grade of "Incomplete" and for which no
final grade has been assigned.
• Courses that have been repeated.
• Courses that you failed, regardless of whether they have been repeated.
• Courses in which you are currently enrolled or expect to enroll in prior to
entering medical school.
• Remedial/developmental courses.
• College-level courses you took while in high school even if they were not
counted toward a degree by any college.
• Courses taken at an American college overseas.
• Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic
bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies.
Note: Red asterisks (*) appear next to those fields the system requires. Although an
asterisk does not appear next to Transcript Grade and Credit Hours, you must
complete these fields if the information appears on your transcript.

i believe you are supposed to report ALL college level coursework (even if taken in HS). so report it!

The AMCAS site is pretty clear and explicit on this. If it was taken at a community college, it is supposed to be reported. Not much room for debate on this if you read the plain language of the AMCAS instructions.