Do I have to report minor traffic violations to schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrestigiousCelery11

Reaction score
As the title says, I recently received a citation for going 9mph over the speed limit. Would I need to report the citation to every school I applied to? Do I need to report it to schools I have interviewed at? @Goro @LizzyM

I am kinda freaking out. It's my first traffic violation in 4 years of driving...

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure you have to report it but each school may have their own policy.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure you have to report it but each school may have their own policy.
NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't memorize every application, but, to the best of my recollection, they ask about institutional actions and criminal charges or convictions. Not traffic violations, which are neither in most jurisdictions.

Just make sure traffic violations are not treated as misdemeanors in your state, and you are likely fine. Then, go back to the school portals and see if they ask specifically about traffic violations. They don't! Then, relax. You're good. No need to freak out or report. And, slow down! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't memorize every application, but, to the best of my recollection, they ask about institutional actions and criminal charges or convictions. Not traffic violations, which are neither in most jurisdictions.

Just make sure traffic violations are not treated as misdemeanors in your state, and you are likely fine. Then, go back to the school portals and see if they ask specifically about traffic violations. They don't! Then, relax. You're good. No need to freak out or report. And, slow down! :)
Appreciate the response! I called the school I interviewed at and they said I can update them on the portal. They never said I had to. I am afraid it hurts my chances, but integrity is something I stand by.

Typically only have to report misdemeanors and felonies. In 95%+ of districts speeding isn’t one. Some schools, such as VCOM, do specifically as for traffic violations.

You don’t have much to worry about even if you did have to disclose (strongly doubt you will have to though). A lot of people have a single traffic violation and it wouldn’t be a red flag. One traffic violation has nothing to do with your fitness for the profession.

You know, I may or may not have gotten in with an expunged felony so... you’re fine.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Typically only have to report misdemeanors and felonies. In 95%+ of districts speeding isn’t one. Some schools, such as VCOM, do specifically as for traffic violations.

You don’t have much to worry about even if you did have to disclose (strongly doubt you will have to though). A lot of people have a single traffic violation and it wouldn’t be a red flag. One traffic violation has nothing to do with your fitness for the profession.

You know, I may or may not have gotten in with an expunged felony so... you’re fine.
Thank you so much for your response! I just got a little worried. I am usually a lawful driver. Would you recommend me not updating the school I interviewed at even though they said I can for safe measure? Key word, CAN, they never said I had to.

\.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I applied to ~30 schools, and only one required for me to disclose my speeding ticket.

If they don't ask, then you don't need to mention it.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 5 users
As the title says, I recently received a citation for going 9mph over the speed limit. Would I need to report the citation to every school I applied to? Do I need to report it to schools I have interviewed at? @Goro @LizzyM

I am kinda freaking out. It's my first traffic violation in 4 years of driving...
You have to check with each school.

I know from experience Cincinnati will ask about speeding tickets and want you to explain it.

Don't report things you are not required to. Doesn't have anything to do with integrity.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to report institutional actions by your school as well as misdemeanors and felonies. If what has happened is "none of the above" there is no need to report.

Thank you so much for your response! I just got a little worried. I am usually a lawful driver. Would you recommend me not updating the school I interviewed at even though they said I can for safe measure? Key word, CAN, they never said I had to.
Don’t disclose unless you are specifically instructed or asked to do so. It will not be interpreted as having integrity. This is not a George Washington cherry tree situation.

I had to report my super old and super minor speeding ticket on AMCAS (<10mph and in 2014) because it was a misdemeanor in the state that it occurred in. Maybe check in with your state to see if it was a misdemeanor. Regardless, I would be shocked if it hurts your application.

In some states it’s a misdemeanor and will show up on ceritiphi. No reporting it and then having it show up will be a much bigger problem than just reporting it outright. Anybody who has driven has probably gotten a violation at some point

This is easy. Check to see if it's a misdemeanor. Although it's pretty rare 9 miles over the limit would be but I guess it also might depend on context. Check and see if schools require reporting of any type of traffic violation if this is not a misdemeanor.

Keep in mind that schools are busy and they don't necessarily love all non-required contacts and disclosures of information. So if they don't require it and you report, the way it can harm you is not getting a traffic ticket they never said they cared about knowing about, but looking like a busybody time waster. Nobody likes those.

Knowing that should appease your conscience that this isn't about "hiding" something if they never asked for the disclosure, but also being respectful of when to contact a school and what is a waste of their time.

Reactions: 3 users
I cannot believe that schools would even ask this. I could see them asking if license was ever suspended perhaps. What about jaywalking?

Plead innocent and go to traffic court. You are most likely able to plead it down and pay fine but avoid moving violation. They just want the money.
The AAA is like the AMA. Look at the National Motorist Organization
www.motorists.org

They have good suggestions on how to advocate for yourself.

In 2 years of reviewing US MD applications this has never been included or even mentioned at any time. Misdemeanors and felonies or disciplinary action at your institution for something serious. No one cares about a speeding ticket. Stick to the regular celery.

Junior attending here. Ive always reported minor violations (had a speeding ticket x 1) regardless. Residency, fellowship, medical licenses and for jobs. No one cares about minor issues but best to be safe and report it.

4th year med student out of chicago matching IM this year speaking here.

You remind me of some of my good friends at school who can get super stressed about stuff. It sounds like you could use some reassurance.

Schools ask that specifically ask that question on an application you should answer it truthfully, but I'd suggest only to those schools. Why do I say that?

As someone who has been part of our own school's application process and prepare our graduate students for being on interviews. The initial application is only ever a screening tool. Do you meet the numbers metrics? Can you follow instructions? Are there any red flags in the personal statement, etc.

If I specifically asked in an application about a speeding ticket and you had one at the time and omitted that. I might not find out unless it comes up in the background check. But if it does and I did find out. It doesnt speak well to your character. You could argue it suggests you care more about looking good to get an interview rather than being truthful.

Personally, I wouldn't care. Plenty of people speed and 9mph isnt really something I'd raise an eyebrow at, especially if it's the first time. On the other hand, if it was 35mph over or had pretty consistent record of traffic violations. That's a much bigger deal and I would be concerned about that. Because your actions paint a picture that you're not learning and growing from your mistakes. I might not want to interview that candidate even if they're qualified until after I explore some other applicants first.

To further clarify, there are plenty of people with minor and infrequently major infractions to their record that get into medical school. I got a speeding ticket for going over 30mph on an empty expressway, at night, driving through a rural area when I was 18. And it never came up or was a problem. A colleague of mine has a personal friend that recieved a felony charge and still got into medical school. Because he used the space provided to explain what happened, and crucially, how he changed his life for the better after that.

That's really what an interview and the application is about. It's a really elaborate and expensive vibe check.

Every school is different and when they dont offer you an interview. I doubt itd have anything to do with that. And if it did, is that really the kind of program youd be happy in and want to be apart of? I dont care if you're the PD of Harvard medical school. If you're passing on a qualified applicant because they got a speeding minor speeding ticket. I get that there are prestigious programs and they can afford and need to be as selective as possible. But, at that point youd just be being nitpicky and a jerk. And I personally wouldnt want to learn anything from a program with that mindset anyway.

Take a deep breath. If it comes up in an interview, then it's just to test and see how you approach being honest, hold yourself accountable, and your ability to self reflect and improve. It's not an, "Ah Ha! Caught you, you criminal scum. Rejected! Away with you!" Otherwise, you are not required to disclose anything that would harm you like legal records or health conditions unless explicitly asked.

In fact, by the ADA they're not allowed to ask directly or disqualify an applicant based on your health conditions. For example let's say you have ADHD and need academic accommodation or are on adderall, or something like that. You dont have to tell them that. And according to my brother in law who works in HR for hiring. Sometimes that can happen if you put it in an application. And it's really easy to prove and get protected from discrimination after you're hired/accepted. But next to impossible to prove during that process.

So that's my advice to you or anyone with similar concerns that visits this thread. In general, for the example you gave and with the exceptions I mentioned. No, dont do that and it doesnt matter. So dont go out of your way to make it matter or hurt you. You can relax.

I know from experience Cincinnati will ask about speeding tickets and want you to explain it.

I bet >80% of faculty have had speeding tickets. Explanation, “Porsches weren’t built to go 65.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Appreciate the response! I called the school I interviewed at and they said I can update them on the portal. They never said I had to. I am afraid it hurts my chances, but integrity is something I stand by.
I’m surprised the school did not laugh at you hysterically and then hang up.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Just read what the secondary asks. I know at Cincinnati (a few years ago) they absolutely do ask for traffic violations, even if there are not misdemeanors. Parking tickets are excluded, so technically it would be any moving violation. If it was recent and/or it was severe (like someone else said 30 mph over, reckless driving), it was basically an auto rejection preinterview.

So everyone saying you definitely do not have to report anything that is below misdemeanor is wrong to make such a general statement. And if a school like Cincinnati were to find out you failed to disclose something on the secondary, not sure how they would find it out but if they did, you could be kicked out even after you've started medical school.