Do I have to serve the country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baresina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in college, and I am interested in military medicine. However, I am a civilian.

I have no interests in serving the country, let alone serving the militants.

Do I have to be deployed after medical school?

Do I have to be in U.S. military to specialize in military medicine?

Somehow, I read somewhere on the article of military medicine. I have to serve in U.S. military because people who graduate with the financial help of HPSP and FAP or from military medical school have to be respected as officers, therefore, they have to serve in the military.

Please help me here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a junior in college, and I am interested in military medicine. However, I am a civilian.

Somehow, I read somewhere on the article of military medicine. I have to serve in U.S. military because people who graduate with the financial help of HPSP and FAP or from military medical school have to be respected as officers, therefore, they have to serve in the military.

:wow:

How can you be interested in military medicine & have no desire to serve your country? If by "serving the militants" you mean performing life saving medical or surgical intervention for the American servicemen & women that risk their lives on a daily basis for your freedom and right to adore/respect :)lol:) Paris Hilton, and you have no interest in so doing, please do not join the military.

I appologize if that seems a bit harsh, but your cynicism and ignorance baffles the mind, puzzles the will, & staggers the imagination.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am looking beyond the absolutely unbelievable use of the language in the quote above and try to read only the 'possible' intent of your question.

1. If you want to specialize in "military medicine" without serving in our military, the only thing I can think of is doing PM&R (physical medicine and rehabilitation) and after residency go to work in a VA hospital or...

2. Or... specialize in Emergency Medicine and/ or sub-specialize in disaster medicine or wilderness medicine.

3. Just do any specialty and work in a VA hospital after residency.

4. But please, if at all possible, stay out of the military. You would make people miserable.

And... I can't help but saying, your post is offensive and borderlines or more likely just jumps right in the middle of trolling territory.

Although I do not know you, but if above sentences reflect your thought process getting into a medical school may be your biggest hurdle.

Certainly it reflect your integrity as you posted in the premedical forum that you are a current "sophomore" and "will be applying medical school in 2-3 years."

I wish I could literally eat you and flush you a day later...

Troll. Probably the same acne-covered, overweight 16 year-old who goes by the name "ArmBarYou."

south_park_wow_computer_lab.jpg

Your best bet would be to contact a recruiter and schedule to have him/her explain the basic setup of military medicine (ask about HPSP, FAP, and USUHS). After you've learned some of that stuff, come back here for a more realistic picture if you're still interested. You absolutely need to serve and you an expect to be deployed. Your active duty is typically 4 years with a tour or two of duty.

Although I do not know you, but if above sentences reflect your thought process getting into a medical school may be your biggest hurdle.

Certainly it reflect your integrity as you posted in the premedical forum that you are a current "sophomore" and "will be applying medical school in 2-3 years."
Yeah, this person is a lying sack of crap. He/she/it posted earlier in Dec 2007 that it was a junior, then later in other posts said it was a sophomore. Now it's a junior again (although it just may have completed its sophomore year of school).

Whatever its level of college completion, its a *****.

Mentor: Kevin Pezzi, MD (www.erbook.net)
Interests: Health Policy
Dislikes: Cynical and ignorant people
Favorite dialogue:
People: But, you are Deaf?
Her: I won’t insult your intelligence, but there are 40 Deaf physicians in our country.

Is it just me, or does this (combined with the paris hilton avatar) look eerily like that part of the playboy centerfold where the playmate writes in flowery half-sentences about their likes and dislikes while adding their trenchant pearls of wisdom.

It is funny that as I grew from a pubescent boy to a cynical man I came to enjoy ridiculing the vapidness of the playmates much more than I ever enjoyed ogling them.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of God, I hope that you are a troll.

Mentor: Kevin Pezzi, MD (www.erbook.net)
Interests: Health Policy
Dislikes: Cynical and ignorant people
Favorite dialogue:
People: But, you are Deaf?
Her: I won’t insult your intelligence, but there are 40 Deaf physicians in our country.

Is it just me, or does this (combined with the paris hilton avatar) look eerily like that part of the playboy centerfold where the playmate writes in flowery half-sentences about their likes and dislikes while adding their trenchant pearls of wisdom.

It is funny that as I grew from a pubescent boy to a cynical man I came to enjoy ridiculing the vapidness of the playmates much more than I ever enjoyed ogling them.
You want to see something really funny click on the my mentor link. I mean how can you not love a mentor who wrote "Love and Lust in the ER". This is almost Misterio level in trolldom. Thanks the Tired for saying what I was thinking.

David Carpenter, PA-C

There is no way this a real thread.

Tired, yours was the best response so far.

You want to see something really funny click on the my mentor link. I mean how can you not love a mentor who wrote "Love and Lust in the ER".

I did, and this is all too stupid to be real. You have to check out this dude's pictures:
http://www.erbook.net/pictures.htm
There is one of him getting the mail and another of him after a bad blind date. WTF?

My God I hope you're joking.

I'm at the exact same place in my life as you right now...and I'm kind of insulted by these questions.

On the other hand...the replies to this have been hilarious, especially Tired's.

I don't know about the OP but the OP's mentor is both a crazy person and freakin awesome. If you've got some free time read through his free .pdf book "Love and lust in the ER". It's definitely a hook to get you to buy his other books but it's got some good stories in the first chapter (which is all I read).

Example: He tells a story about a ER patient who has a "freak of nature" penis and turns it into an ad to purchase his book The Science of Sex.

This reminds me of an old OPR (Fitrep) list of actual British officer evaluation comments that quoted:
"There is a village out there missing it's idiot":rolleyes::laugh:

What?

Also I find this priceless

I must say I apologize for writing this such an offensive thread. I wish I had responded earlier, but I was terribly busy. I am Deaf and I am really into military medicine. I knew for the law I can't serve the country. I do yearn to serve the country if I was able to. I made a mistake by saying, "I don't want to serve the country." I am sorry again.

I used Paris Hilton's picture in my avatar only for the sarcastic reason, nothing personal. Many of you made the big deal out of it. It really doesn't matter if the OP has the blonde socialite, cartoon, brilliant person, and some such in their avatars; everyone is supposed to feel free to express their foolishness, intelligence, and more on the internet.

My profile and my thread may confuse you with my grade status. Sorry about that. I left college for one semester so last fall, I was a sophomore, then last spring, I was a junior. Furthermore, I will still be a junior in this fall.

About my mentor, I am sorry if you are too conservatives. There is a definitely problem in the medical world. We are sometimes too close-minded and enjoying ourselves by looking down on others. Let's just unite ourselves by doing those necessary good deeds. We all serve the country in different ways, remember that!

Again, sorry about my worthless apologetic, explanation, and lecture post.