Do I have to take a post baccalaureatte program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jems

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my mcat for the first time in march and did not do well at all. Let's just say it was under 25. I am studying to retake them this August 25.

cGPA- 3.45 and science GPA is about the same.
I have one year experience working in a lab, about 100 hours volunteer service, and I currently work in the hospital as a patient sitter (about 3+ years).

Should I still apply to some schools (ie in state?)

Also, because I'm taking the mcats in August, I will have missed the deadline for the post-baccalaureatte program offered here at my school in Richmond, Virginia (MCV).

The post bacc director says that he will consider taking me into the program if my mcat score goes up after my second try. But I would need to change my original mcat date from the 25th to the 6th so that I can get the scores back in time for the start of the post bacc program.

I don't want to do this becaus I feel like I won't be ready to take the mcat that early. However, I feel like I am willing to take that chance if it gets me a seat into the post bacc program which I hope will ultimately help make my app more competitive.

So questions:

1. How important is the post bacc program as far as getting admissions?
2. If my school of interest is offering a pb program should I take it?
3. Can I take the same grad courses without having to take the whole program?

I can't help but feel that taking this p.b. program is the only way med schools will take me. Aren't there other ways? I just feel like I am prolonging the process by waiting another year and I am even tempted to just apply to Caribbean schools this December.

Members don't see this ad.

Your current cGPA of 3.45 and an MCAT of 25 would make you competitive for DO medical schools.

Formal post-bac programs are expensive. You can unofficially do your own post-bac by taking upper-level science classes and some other courses full-time for a year. If you got a 4.0, your cGPA could rise to 3.56. Then an MCAT of 32 would make you competitive at the less selective MD med schools. The advantage of a formal program, especially one with linkage, is that they may guarantee an interview for their med school if your GPA is above a certain point, like 3.5 or so. They do not guarantee an acceptance. They may also have programs available to make your ECs more solid, like research, shadowing, and patient care opportunities. You could find these on your own too. Additionally, they have good counselors who can help guide the application process in regards to getting letters of recommendation, writing your personal statement, and selecting appropriate schools to apply to.

BTW: DO>>>>>Caribbean schools, as they don't have the high attrition rate and atrocious 50% statistic for getting a residency match in the US.

So questions:

1. How important is the post bacc program as far as getting admissions?
2. If my school of interest is offering a pb program should I take it?
3. Can I take the same grad courses without having to take the whole program?

I can't help but feel that taking this p.b. program is the only way med schools will take me. Aren't there other ways? I just feel like I am prolonging the process by waiting another year and I am even tempted to just apply to Caribbean schools this December.

1. Depends entirely on your MCAT. If you can get a 33-35 on your MCAT, you could avoid the postbac year. However, if you linger around 29-30, or even 31, it may become difficult to gain acceptance. You mentioned applying to your state school this year - that depends on your state - is it VA? Because UVA is not exactly easy.

2. I think starting postbac is a good idea. You also don't need as high an MCAT to get into a postbac (let's say, you get like a 28), so perhaps moving up the date to Aug 6th isn't such bad idea. But again, all hangs on the MCAT. If you think you can get a minimum 32, then I'd apply and at least try. Don't go Caribbean. Do Osteopathic Medicine. It is in general considered a far better (because it is safer and more secure) route than heading to the island schools. For Osteo, with your 3.45 GPA, you need like a 28-29 on the MCAT, and you are a legit candidate.

3. Not exactly sure what you are asking, but you can take whatever courses you want in Postbac.

im not a fan of post-bac programs. i think theyre too expensive for what you get in return. if they can guarantee an acceptance (contingent on certain gpa) or guarantee a high mcat score, then its a different story.

id just wait until i get the scores back from the august mcat.

good luck!