WAMC for md-phd (if i don’t take a gap year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adomancy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a junior evaluating my competitiveness for MD/PhD programs. I have strong academic metrics, but with the increasingly competitive applicant pool, I am considering whether taking a gap year to gain additional research experience would strengthen my application. This is not due to lack of independence—I feel confident in my work and research goals—but I am aware that applying at 21 may be perceived cautiously by some committees.

GPA / MCAT: 3.94 GPA, 523 MCAT
Undergraduate Institution: t5
Degrees: Chemistry & Neuroscience (joint master’s )
Ethnicity: URM

Research Experience:
  • Undergraduate research assistant (~1,000 hours) — third-author of a high-impact chem biology journal but had independence leading an individual side project
  • Summer research assistant (~400 hours) — contributed to molecular probe development and modeling of biological systems (ties into larger goals as an md-phd student)
  • computational research with a first-author pub (also feeds into creating predictive models that i’m developing biologically and is cited by the work in my first lab (!!) as a way to expand the system we’re studying) (~800 hours)
productivity:
  • 3 presentations at institutional a research conferences + 2 poster presentations at regional conferences
extracurriculars:
  • wellness facilitator — led weekly wellness meetings for students from underrepresented communities (~100 hours)
  • Leadership in cultural organizarion - - Organized cultural and LGBTQ+ events for student organization (~150 hours)
  • Cultural health organization - developed community resource guides, initiatives to volunteer in thr city, and with outreach materials (~100 hours)
  • Teaching assistant roles for undergraduate science courses (~200 hours)
Clinical Experienes:
- Led digital psychiatry programming in a hospital inpatient unit (~150 hours)
  • Medical advocate for a local sexual assault crisis center (~250 hours)
  • Shadowed clinical care in neurology, cardiology, and primary care (~75hours total)
  • volunteer at local homeless shelter (~100 hours)

hobbies:
  • writer and speaker in poetry; editor in chief of a literary magazine (~400 hours)
 
Welcome to the forums. Visit the Research Scientists subforum where the MD/PhD folks hang out. They can give you advice as well.

From my own standpoint, you have a solid PhD application. For MD, I need more details: what are you doing at the homeless shelter that is "clinical"? If you have no clinical responsibilities, then you need at least 50 more hours before applying to avoid getting screened out of the MD pool.

Your other extracurricular activities aren't service-oriented so much. You have tutoring (TA), mentoring (wellness facilitator), or cultural awareness/identity leadership activities, but without a description, the activities feel more like a demonstration of expertise than humility.
 
Welcome to the forums. Visit the Research Scientists subforum where the MD/PhD folks hang out. They can give you advice as well.

From my own standpoint, you have a solid PhD application. For MD, I need more details: what are you doing at the homeless shelter that is "clinical"? If you have no clinical responsibilities, then you need at least 50 more hours before applying to avoid getting screened out of the MD pool.

Your other extracurricular activities aren't service-oriented so much. You have tutoring (TA), mentoring (wellness facilitator), or cultural awareness/identity leadership activities, but without a description, the activities feel more like a demonstration of expertise than humility.

Welcome to the forums. Visit the Research Scientists subforum where the MD/PhD folks hang out. They can give you advice as well.

From my own standpoint, you have a solid PhD application. For MD, I need more details: what are you doing at the homeless shelter that is "clinical"? If you have no clinical responsibilities, then you need at least 50 more hours before applying to avoid getting screened out of the MD pool.

Your other extracurricular activities aren't service-oriented so much. You have tutoring (TA), mentoring (wellness facilitator), or cultural awareness/identity leadership activities, but without a description, the activities feel more like a demonstration of expertise than humility.


Thank you for your detailed feedback, and I really appreciate it. I wanted to clarify some of my experiences, which I think were under-described and may have made it seem like I have less patient-facing or service-oriented work than I actually do.

I didn’t want to be too identifying in my original description, but I work directly with patients in several capacities: assisting them with telehealth tools and portals (scheduling, MyChart navigation, completing online assessments), helping them use mood-tracking apps, coordinating virtual check-ins, and supporting clinicians in interpreting patient-reported outcomes. I also assist in research-adjacent clinical trials focused on accessibility, directly interacting with patients with data collection

You’re right that my work at the homeless shelter is not clinical, so more non-clinical I think. But my wellness fellowship involved facilitating discussions and programs at a community center aimed at underrepresented students, supporting mental health and well-being, which may not be directly clinical, but I think service-oriented.

In my leadership roles, I have led initiatives that directly impact community health, including nutrition advocacy and volunteering programs at local food co-ops. I aimed to show leadership, but the emphasis is really on service and direct impact rather than just titles or expertise.

In medical advocacy, I acted as a liaison between patients and SANE nurses/physicians, providing immediate support and helping patients navigate care.

Is this a framing issue I need to address in writing essays or a fundamental issue I need a gap to accommodate ?