Do I have to take undergrad classes again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Majored in Biology in undergrad, did it for 3 years, completed 101 credits and then went to pharmacy school for 4 years. Graduated with a PharmD. Last time I was in undergrad was back in July 2008. Let's say I decide to apply to med school 4-5 years from now. Would I have to retake those classes, or are they still good? Undergrad GPA was 3.2, took the MCAT back in 2008 just for ****s and giggles, I think I got a 26M.

Also, will they look at my grad school GPA? It's abysmal, like 2.2.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Majored in Biology in undergrad, did it for 3 years, completed 101 credits and then went to pharmacy school for 4 years. Graduated with a PharmD. Last time I was in undergrad was back in July 2008. Let's say I decide to apply to med school 4-5 years from now. Would I have to retake those classes, or are they still good? Undergrad GPA was 3.2, took the MCAT back in 2008 just for ****s and giggles, I think I got a 26M.

Your MCAT is expired, so you would have to retake it. They will look at all the grades for all the classes you have ever taken. Pre-reqs usually have to be completed within ten years of matriculating. I'm not sure wether you will have to take any additional pre-req course work and they might accept the PharmD. However, you will need a very good reason for the career change. The GPA of 3.2 and the grad school GPA of 2.2 is not going to help, so you will want to talk to an advisor at the school you are interested in attending to give suggestions for your unique situation. Oh, and if you wait four to five years, I'm guessing your pre-reqs will be too old, so you will likely need to retake them.

Your MCAT is expired, so you would have to retake it. They will look at all the grades for all the classes you have ever taken. Pre-reqs usually have to be completed within ten years of matriculating. I'm not sure wether you will have to take any additional pre-req course work and they might accept the PharmD. However, you will need a very good reason for the career change. The GPA of 3.2 and the grad school GPA of 2.2 is not going to help, so you will want to talk to an advisor at the school you are interested in attending to give suggestions for your unique situation. Oh, and if you wait four to five years, I'm guessing your pre-reqs will be too old, so you will likely need to retake them.

Main reason for career change is the lack of respect/recognition compared to the physicians around here, maybe its just the hospital. Quite a few of the top doctors at this hospital are physicians who used to be pharmacists.

Other issue: I already have ~$300k in student loans, and I'd expect med school to increase that # by another $200k at least. Am I at the student loan cap? Won't need to take out additional cost of living loans since I could moonlight as a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not in a very promising situation if your graduate gpa is a 2.2.

Main reason for career change is the lack of respect/recognition compared to the physicians around here, maybe its just the hospital. Quite a few of the top doctors at this hospital are physicians who used to be pharmacists.

If a lack of respect is the main reason to go to medical school, wouldn't it be easier to ask around and move someplace where you can work in a hospital where there's more respect for pharmacists? That would save a lot of money and if you go to medical school you'll most likely have to move anyway.

If a lack of respect is the main reason to go to medical school, wouldn't it be easier to ask around and move someplace where you can work in a hospital where there's more respect for pharmacists? That would save a lot of money and if you go to medical school you'll most likely have to move anyway.

Live in NYC, don't need to move anywhere.

You shouldn't have to retake your bio classes. I had been a physics major in college. When I applied to medical school it had been ~10 years since I had taken a physics class, and no one seemed to think that was even remotely a problem.

A grad gpa of 2.2 isn't doing you any favors since it's expected that grad gpas should be >3.0 because of grade inflation.

uGPA of 3.2 doesn't help your case either. The PharmD can be a selling point but it also raises more questions as well. You're going to have to articulate why you want such a drastic career change and "more respect" isn't going to cut it.

As for completing a BS degree, I doubt you would have to but check with each school you intend to apply to to make sure. Many schools can waive their requirements if you simply talk to them. I was 7 years out of undergrad before applying to medical schools and I had LORs requirements waived as well as reassurances that my undergraduate coursework was still legit.

Ya there was no grade inflation at my pharmacy school. What screwed me big time was that my rotations were pass fail so even though I aced my rotations, they had no help on my gpa.

I work with quite a few mds at my hospital and worked almost exclusively with mds on my internal med rotation so I could get done nice lors from them.