Do I have to take..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nateftw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and have a question regarding dental school requirements.

I'm currently a Biochemistry major at UCSB, and have completed all of the science related requirements. However, the University of Michigan requires that I take a psychology, and a sociology course. I have only been taking 12-15 units nearly every quarter, because I wanted to raise my GPA up from my horrible freshman year (Had a 2.90 at the end of freshman year). Now, I am a junior and I have a 3.51 science, and 3.47 overall (I have literally gotten straight As since then). Now my question, can I take the sociology and psychology course at a community college during the summer to avoid making my loads heavier? Will this have an effect on my application? I can save money this way, and I would assume that they aren't the core classes that they care about the most.

Also, when they calculate your science GPA, does it consist of ALL science classes? Or just the ones that they require? Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and have a question regarding dental school requirements.

I'm currently a Biochemistry major at UCSB, and have completed all of the science related requirements. However, the University of Michigan requires that I take a psychology, and a sociology course. I have only been taking 12-15 units nearly every quarter, because I wanted to raise my GPA up from my horrible freshman year (Had a 2.90 at the end of freshman year). Now, I am a junior and I have a 3.51 science, and 3.47 overall (I have literally gotten straight As since then). Now my question, can I take the sociology and psychology course at a community college during the summer to avoid making my loads heavier? Will this have an effect on my application? I can save money this way, and I would assume that they aren't the core classes that they care about the most.

Also, when they calculate your science GPA, does it consist of ALL science classes? Or just the ones that they require? Thank you everyone.

call them and see what they tell you.....You can't really base a huge decision like this from what other students suggest.

I sent them an email, but they have not replied for weeks. I'll try calling them.

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe they calculate all your science classes. Anything Bio, Math, physics, and Chem.

And why are you asking that question? Because psych and sociology are not considered science.