do i l feel lucky this cycle?

Started by ddsjeff77
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ddsjeff77

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ok here goes guys/gals, what do YOU think for this year? the lucky winner gets $100... :idea: (JK)

1st DAT:
17 AA
13 QR
18 RC
19 PAT
17 Bio
16 Chem
18 OChem
17 TS
GPA: ~3.1, applied last year to only IOWA (resident), and VCU....denied to both.

2nd DAT: 🙁
17 AA
18 QR
20 RC
19 PAT
16 Bio
17 Chem
15 OChem 😕
16 TS 😱
GPA: ~3.2, applied May 18 (aadsas # 200500027 :laugh: ) to IOWA, VCU, WVU, Tufts, Arizona, Temple, BU, UMaryland, UF(rejected yesterday), UMKC, MUSC, Uoklahoma, UPenn, UPitt, and NOVA SE...so pretty much most of the east coast schools... 😎
So Far: Secondaries from IOWA, NOVA SE, Arizona, MUSC, UPenn...still waiting for most to get off their asses...
tons of volunteer work and that whole nine yards...letters of recs...
the main thing i am worried about is my GPA...so...what do you guys think??
Do I have a shot?
Should I just get a Dental Hygiene Degree, work for a while, then reapply, or get my Masters of Public Health and apply later??

Thanks
Jeff
 
from what I ve been learning over the past couple of months. I think your only chance is in your home state. Instead of doing the hygiene or other stuff, retake the classes you made C's in. With a 3.1, just take those sciences classes you made Cs in over. Trust me, Ive seen it done.

oh, and jeff, when did you pay/send in your secondary to MUSC?
 
ddsjeff77 said:
ok here goes guys/gals, what do YOU think for this year?
Do I have a shot?


Thanks
Jeff

Jeff I wouldn't count yourself out at all. You applied to a lot of schools which is a bonus from last years cycle. Your GPA and DAT score are not as bad as you probably feel they are. You should have a shot at some of the private schools and of course Iowa. Congrats on taking the DAT again....much respect for working hard to take it again.
 
Here's another suggestion: How about calling some schools and getting feedback from them directly? This is what I would definitely do. They have admissions counselors that can help you and guide you.
Also, if you got anything less than a C in any of the pre-reqs. I would re-take them. Additionally I would take upper science classes such as microbiology, histology, physiology, anatomy, genetics, cell biology, etc. It looks good that you take those classes and they will help you when you are in d-school. Good luck!
 
right now im taking cell bio lab and endocrinology as well as some fillers, graduating in december, but i haven't gotten below a C+ in any upper level bio class or any class for that matter....???