Do I need a backup? Is it a long shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthomyxostudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a stressed out osteopathic student who is applying to residency this upcoming year. After seeing DOs not get that many interviews, I am hesitant and nervous about doing anesthesiology. I received a 218 on step 1 and 518 on comlex 1. is it a good idea to apply to anesthesia considering COVID is going to be around? Is a back up necessary in these times? Considering my score, would I be screened out of some interviews? I can't seem understand if it is due to covid or there is alot of competition among us in this speciality. If it helps knowing, I go to top 5 DO school. I am also planning on doing two aways. Thank you and any sort of guidance/ tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course a sub 220 score will get you screen out somewhere, but we're talking university programs.

I'm pretty sure with a broad enough app you'd get in somewhere for gas - nothing academic - but somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, virtually every DO should have some sort of a backup, honestly. Apply to gas and a backup and if you get a ton of gas interviews, cancel the backup interviews.

Yes, you definitely need a backup. I would strongly suggest it be IM because if you get lucky and there's a PGY2 anesthesia opening then you can jump ship after PGY1. If you don't mind giving up Anesthesia and doing FM or Pathology, then those are the backups

Your DO school may have hospital associations and is well known in the area (KCU, MSU, PCOM). But given the limited # of previous AOA anesthesia programs, a DO... is a DO... There is no "top" and is not under consideration by residencies. The only time "ranking" comes into play is if u are a new DO school that hasn't graduated a class yet and obviously it's a negative thing.

You need to absolutely destroy step 2 with significant improvement and apply with backup. Anesthesia is just getting more competitive even prior to COVID. You can check NRMP charting outcomes.

Aways for a DO is a MUST!! Especially if zoom interviews are here to stay. Try to rotate and get LoRs from different geographical regions of the country so programs take a serious look at you. If I were to do it again and spots were available, I'd do 5 away rotations all the way until ERAS is submitted so I can network and get letters. Don't forget mentors and letter writers can make calls to advocate for you during interview season!