Do I need a non-science prof LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hotshy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious do I need a non-science prof LOR?

I have 2 LORs from science Profs and 2 LORs from Professors I have done genetics research with.

I also have one LOR from the volunteer coordinator at the hospital I have volunteered for 200+ hours.

Do I really need the LOR from a non-science prof? Especially when one of my science prof's told me she emphasized my personality much more in the letter than my success in her course (which was still included).

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious do I need a non-science prof LOR?

I have 2 LORs from science Profs and 2 LORs from Professors I have done genetics research with.

I also have one LOR from the volunteer coordinator at the hospital I have volunteered for 200+ hours.

Do I really need the LOR from a non-science prof? Especially when one of my science prof's told me she emphasized my personality much more in the letter than my success in her course (which was still included).

Some schools require/recommend one non-science faculty. Look at the requirements of the schools to which you're applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking a course offered by the environmental sci department on natural resource sociology. Would a letter from this professor count as a non-science letter? The subject matter is not strictly science, however it's offered by a science department.

I'm taking a course offered by the environmental sci department on natural resource sociology. Would a letter from this professor count as a non-science letter? The subject matter is not strictly science, however it's offered by a science department.

Check with the school. Some recommend humanities professors.

Definitely call the schools. Some schools will REQUIRE the non-science and some will say its alright, so long as you have a science in place of it. I called up Creighton about this issue a few days ago and they said that there HAD to be a non-science letter whereas some school in Philadelphia (can't remember which one I called) stated that it would be okay if it was a letter written by a science faculty in place of it. But, as people stated beforehand, if its a committee it should be okay.

There are actually few schools that require a non-science letter (Harvard, Hopkins, and a few others). Two science letters is pretty much a must have though.