Do i need a post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themountain123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.4 c and sGPA (counting 2 classes taken at a CC) not really a upward trend
year1: 2.9
year 2: 3.5
year 3: 3.7( some classes p/s)
year 4: 3.3 (fall semester got 3.0, uncle died)
I have a decent mcat (507) and okish ECs (Only applying DO and have a DO LOR.), ORM. Applying this cycle, what are the chances I need to be prepared to do a full DIY post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to ? What are your ECs and hours ?

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to ? What are your ECs and hours ?
TN, I’m sending in my primary now (was waiting for a LOR but found out you can submit without)
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM
CUSOM
NOVA
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NYPCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
LUCOM
ECs- PCT for a year (1800 hours), food pantry since December and currently (280 hours ) also looking for a clinical job right now, 70 hours shadowing (both do and md primary care) no research tho :/

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive several interview from the DO schools you applied to. It is also worth applying to your 2 state public MD schools-Tennessee and East Tennessee. Apply to the MD schools this month and submit your secondaries by August.

I have a 3.4 c and sGPA (counting 2 classes taken at a CC) not really a upward trend
year1: 2.9
year 2: 3.5
year 3: 3.7( some classes p/s)
year 4: 3.3 (fall semester got 3.0, uncle died)
I have a decent mcat (507) and okish ECs (Only applying DO and have a DO LOR.), ORM. Applying this cycle, what are the chances I need to be prepared to do a full DIY post-bacc?
Not for DO schools

Your stats are fine for DO programs. What I don't have is a sense of mission fit because the details are not provided in the original post. I don't know what your clinical and non-clinical experiences are, nor is there an indication of what your purpose as a physician is.

Your stats are fine for DO programs. What I don't have is a sense of mission fit because the details are not provided in the original post. I don't know what your clinical and non-clinical experiences are, nor is there an indication of what your purpose as a physician is.
Clinical - year as a pct (1800h) on Covid floor,
My undergrad and personal life was impacted by Covid so wanted to make a difference
Non clinical- volunteer at a good pantry (260ish hours, ongoing) in my town that has a large medically underserved population
- shadowed mostly primary care as that’s what I’m interested in.
-few clubs and hoboes thrown in and like couple hours working for habitat for humanity building house
- ps talked about immigrant story (I’m ORM) and having little access to healthcare growing up, first college grad and wanting to become a physician to give back to underserved
- hope that gives a bit more information! I appreciate the advise

Last edited:
I just got my verification back and aacomas calculated my gpa a lot lower than I thought and I’m really worried. My cGPA: 3.38, sGPA 3.35 (cGPA: 3.34 sGPA: 3.26 baccalaureate without 8 diy post bac credits) am I screwed? Do I need to change my list? @Goro @Faha
@Mr.Smile12

Last edited:
I just got my verification back and aacomas calculated my gpa a lot lower than I thought and I’m really worried. My cGPA: 3.38, sGPA 3.35 (cGPA: 3.34 sGPA: 3.26 baccalaureate without 8 diy post bac credits) am I screwed? Do I need to change my list? @Goro @Faha
No. Apply to your 2 state public MD schools also.

@Mr.Smile12
Did you figure out why the calculation difference? Was it you or was it them? I just say this because I can't remember if you posted your aggregate GPA's.

Did you figure out why the calculation difference? Was it you or was it them? I just say this because I can't remember if you posted your aggregate GPA's.
No I’m not sure, my university calculated my gpa as 3.37 but they have it as 3.34

@Mr.Smile12
Agree with the wise Faha

No I’m not sure, my university calculated my gpa as 3.37 but they have it as 3.34
Just make sure you know why they are different. Universities do not calculate GPA's like the application services do, so you have to know the rules. Also, the app services usually have many different GPA's they report to the admissions teams, so the 0.03 difference isn't huge.

Just make sure you know why they are different. Universities do not calculate GPA's like the application services do, so you have to know the rules. Also, the app services usually have many different GPA's they report to the admissions teams, so the 0.03 difference isn't huge.
Ill try to calculate using the aacomas calculator but with my science being 0.05 lower it puts me in the 48% chance on the mcat GPA grid for DO compared to the 56% I thought I had, are my chances to receive interviews still decent?

Last edited:
@Faha do you still think I do not need to try to get in last min and take more post-baccalaureate classes this coming year? sorry for the repeated questions, finding out my gpa is lower than i thought has just got me really worried.

@Faha do you still think I do not need to try to get in last min and take more post-baccalaureate classes this coming year? sorry for the repeated questions, finding out my gpa is lower than i thought has just got me really worried.
You are competitive for all the DO schools you are applying to. A DO application is not considered late until November.

You are competitive for all the DO schools you are applying to. A DO application is not considered late until November.
I really appreciate the advice faha your a life saver, I have been freaking out all morning

Ill try to calculate using the aacomas calculator but with my science being 0.05 lower it puts me in the 48% chance on the mcat GPA grid for DO compared to the 56% I thought I had, are my chances to receive interviews still decent?
That 48% is a bit misleading since it includes only those who matriculated to DO schools. There are another 30% to 35% in that group who decided to attend a MD school instead. So the overall acceptance rate for both MD and DO schools is over 80%.

@Goro @Faha i just wanted to thank you guys! My cycle is still going but I have already gotten 3 As!!! If you told me a year ago that’d I’d be here I’d call you crazy, thank you guys so much for the advise and help getting here

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users