do I need a SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyapple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college a few years ago, and have been taking upper level science courses at a local univ over the past 2 years to up my gpa. This summer I will be applying to medical school - my gpa by then will hopefully be 3.5 overall/3.35 science, and I have a mcat score of 30 (10/10/10). I am considering applying to a one-year smp program for the in-between year, to increase my chances of being accepted (since my science gpa is still much lower than the average applicant)...do you think a smp is needed with my stats or do I have a chance of being accepted without the smp? Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

while an SMP couldn't hurt (unless you do bad), i think you could get in w/o one if everything else in your application looks good. just make sure you apply early and broadly. complete your secondaries by the end of summer, and make sure you are doing something during the cycle like a full-time job or volunteering.

Not to say it´s not an option, but it´s probably not the best option for you.
You´d probably get a better bost from just taking more classes or retaking the MCAT. SMPs are generally targeted at people with abysmal GPAs and stellar MCAT scores. As you have neither, you probably wouldn´t get the most benefit out of the programs.

Also consider that SMP performance is generally very scrutinized by admissions committees, so a bad performance could possibly offset your decently good credentials. It´s probably more risk than you want.

Also they´re expensive as all get out

Other things you could do instead of an SMP:

1) take more classes to improve your GPA

2) Retake and improve your MCAT

3) Pick up an MPH or one year (not special) masters.

Good Luck

I think an informal post-bacc at 30 credits of high level science will be a better option for you. Assuming you have 120 credits it should raise your Over all GPA to about 3.57 or if you really kill it and get double 4.0s a 3.6. Your BCMP GPA will probably improve to about 3.45 or something depending on how many science courses you've done.

Doing that and retaking the MCAT and getting 33+ will put you in good shooting range of your state schools and will give you a decent shot at most mid-tier schools. The SMP programs are grueling and really are only advisable (IMHO) if you have a sub 3.3 GPA, or if you have too many credits such that a post-bacc won't help that much (my situation).

4.0 upper lvl science Post-bacc + MCAT @ 33 + good volunteering/shadowing = med school 4 u. :p