1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Do I need a Specific Research Interest?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Hotshy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hotshy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My question when Applying to MD/PhD programs is how specific do my research interests need to be? I am mainly interested in genetics and protein to protein interactions. But nothing specific like the RAS protein or anything. All I know is what do conduct research in those areas.

When I apply how to address this in a personal statement or in an interview?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nothingman

nothingman We're getting there.
    Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is the right level of detail. In your PS/interviews, describe how you see this science advancing medical practice, why you find it exciting and promising for the future, and ideally be able to talk about interesting papers/accomplishments in this field, be they your own or not.

4. bd4727

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think people care too much, to be honest. They want to see that you have demonstrated the ability to stick with a project, but not that you have committed yourself to any specific field before you have even had the opportunity to experience them all in medical school.

A lot of the questions where you are supposed to indicate what field you are interested in are there so they know who to match you up with for interviews and revisits. This way, at least on some level, you will have something to talk about with that person. Beyond that, there really is not too much emphasis on what someone wants to go into.