Do I need an SMP/Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

insaiyan-premed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'll get to the point. I calculated my GPA with the AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA calculator by @ayjaystudent on this site.
Cumulative UG GPA 3.245
Cumulative UG "BCPM" sAMCAS GPA 3.230
Cumulative UG "BCP" sAACOMAS GPA 3.166
Asian-ORM
Graduated in 2018 (B.S. Biochem)
Took a gap year to reflect and build ECs
Currently, have over 700 clinical hours (including volunteering, shadowing, clinical research)
110 hours of shadowing - 60 in ER and 50 in neurology.
Also training to be an ED scribe.

Question is, what MCAT score would be good enough to get me into DO schools or Post-bacc/SMP-repair then med school?
Which SMPs/Post Baccs do you recommend.
I've looked at a few post-baccs/smps such as Temple ACHS, Touro-CA. I was accepted to the former but haven't taken the MCAT yet. So I decided not to go.
Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'll get to the point. I calculated my GPA with the AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA calculator by ayjaystudent on this site.
Cumulative UG GPA 3.245
Cumulative UG "BCPM" sAMCAS GPA 3.230
Cumulative UG "BCP" sAACOMAS GPA 3.166
Asian-ORM
Graduated in 2018 (B.S. Biochem)
Took a gap year to reflect and build ECs
Currently, have over 800 clinical hours (including volunteering, shadowing, clinical research)

Question is, what MCAT score would be good enough to get me into DO schools or Post-bacc/SMP-repair then med school?
Which SMPs/Post Baccs do you recommend.
I've looked at a few post-baccs/smps such as Temple ACHS, Touro-CA. I was accepted to the former but haven't taken the MCAT yet. So I decided not to go.
Thanks for the feedback.
If you were my kid, I would advise taking the SMP. Why settle for ICOM/BCOM when reinventing yourself can lead to better Do schools and possible MD as well?

Suggest 505+ for DO.
SMPs are a dime a dozen.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
My medical school has an SMP program, and the SMP students take some of the same classes as us (the medical students). The SMP students who receive average marks on exams (B range) have little to no chance of ever getting into medical school; a 3.3 GPA in an SMP doesn't cut it, and these students end up becoming medical technicians, nurses, podiatrists, etc.

Avoid SMPs at all costs. They're a huge gamble. Aim for a 510+ MCAT, and if you desperately need to fluff your GPA, do a DIY post-bacc at a random local state school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're taking an enormous risk with an SMP. If you really want to go back to grad school then go for something useful like an MBA or MHA so that in case your plan falls through, you can still get a decent job.

You're taking an enormous risk with an SMP. If you really want to go back to grad school then go for something useful like an MBA or MHA so that in case your plan falls through, you can still get a decent job.

with all due respect this is terrible advice; if you tell yourself there is no plan b you will devote 110% to everything you do from the mcat to writing your secondaries

Reactions: 1 users
with all due respect this is terrible advice; if you tell yourself there is no plan b you will devote 110% to everything you do from the mcat to writing your secondaries
You're risking what, $20,000+ to get into med school by getting an SMP degree that is otherwise largely useless? What if you don't do as well as you thought you would in the program, or some major life event happens and your grades plummet or you have to drop out? An SMP is a huge gamble no matter how smart and dedicated you think you are. You can lessen your risk by getting a more useful degree like an MBA and still get into med school just fine. And if you still somehow don't get in and decide to go a different route? Hey, not a big deal, that degree, experience and network you acquired will help get you a decent job.

Don't do well in an SMP on the other hand? Well... there's always Walmart or, if you're lucky, an adjunct faculty position at a CC paying indentured servitude wages waiting for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're risking what, $20,000+ to get into med school by getting an SMP degree that is otherwise largely useless? What if you don't do as well as you thought you would in the program, or some major life event happens and your grades plummet or you have to drop out? An SMP is a huge gamble no matter how smart and dedicated you think you are. You can lessen your risk by getting a more useful degree like an MBA and still get into med school just fine. And if you still somehow don't get in and decide to go a different route? Hey, not a big deal, that degree, experience and network you acquired will help get you a decent job.

Don't do well in an SMP on the other hand? Well... there's always Walmart or, if you're lucky, an adjunct faculty position at a CC paying indentured servitude wages waiting for you.

I never said smp was the route to go. You can look at my history if you are interested: I was in a worse position than OP but I knew medicine was what I wanted. I did a two years masters program(despite the risk of no guarantee of a medical school acceptance). When every fiber of your body wants something it will put in the extra 10% towards that goal. I know not every story is sunshine and rainbows and I am very fortunate to gain a few acceptances.

You need a science rated coursework to show an upward trend. MBA has no sciences. Only way Mba is feasible if op gets an amazing mcat score

You gotta risk it for the biscuit!

Otherwise go be an accountant and play it safe.

If you were my kid, I would advise taking the SMP. Why settle for ICOM/BCOM when reinventing yourself can lead to better Do schools and possible MD as well?

Suggest 505+ for DO.
SMPs are a dime a dozen.

Read this:

I already declined it, as I'm not moving to CA. It's too expensive and far. I figure I'll do a Post-Bacc or SMP near the east coast. Also, would I really need an SMP for DO school? I figure it be good for MD.
I believe a 508+ w/o SMP would be good, no?

508 is below average for MD matriculants, but competitive for DO schools. I believe that the average MCAT for MD matriculants are 511.4 with GPA around 3.7-3.8. Since your GPA is nor competitive, you need an MCAT score that is more than 511, and likely around 514-515 to to be competitive.

I already declined it, as I'm not moving to CA. It's too expensive and far. I figure I'll do a Post-Bacc or SMP near the east coast. Also, would I really need an SMP for DO school? I figure it be good for MD.
I believe a 508+ w/o SMP would be good, no?
Reinventors will need both DO and MD on their lists. Beggars can't be choosy.

508 is below average for MD matriculants, but competitive for DO schools. I believe that the average MCAT for MD matriculants are 511.4 with GPA around 3.7-3.8. Since your GPA is nor competitive, you need an MCAT score that is more than 511, and likely around 514-515 to to be competitive.

Yeah I know of that, but I was mentioning DO schools specifically.

My medical school has an SMP program, and the SMP students take some of the same classes as us (the medical students). The SMP students who receive average marks on exams (B range) have little to no chance of ever getting into medical school; a 3.3 GPA in an SMP doesn't cut it, and these students end up becoming medical technicians, nurses, podiatrists, etc.

Avoid SMPs at all costs. They're a huge gamble. Aim for a 510+ MCAT, and if you desperately need to fluff your GPA, do a DIY post-bacc at a random local state school.
/thread