MD Do I need FM research for FM residency?

Started by Dorodo07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dorodo07

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I have been so grateful to be accepted to the medical school where I’m currently doing psych research. My PI (psychiatrist) said he’d love to continue to have me contribute to the projects while I’m in medical school. Currently I’m interested in either FM or psych and was wondering if most of my research publications are in psych, but I end up applying to FM residency, will it negatively impact the process?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!
 
Thank you so much for your advice! Would it be wise to continue doing my psych research (which I absolutely enjoy!) in case I want to apply with psych after rotations?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do not need any research to get into FM, but it can make you a stronger applicant at more competitive programs. The nice thing about FM is that encompasses pieces of lots of specialties - so research related to psychiatry, cardiology, even surgery can be relevant to FM and help your application. It does not necessarily have to be related to primary care, SDOH, community health, etc (although those things can be helpful as well).
 
I don’t know. My guess is it doesn’t help an overwhelming amount, but there may be some that place some emphasis on it (ivory tower places) and for those places it helps.