Do I need more clinical experience for T5 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creampuffz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting for someone else:

Scribe: 1,500 hours
Clinical volunteer: 130 hours
Shadowing: 90 hours across 4 specialties

Friend wants to enroll in CNA program — I told them it would be a waste if money because they are sufficient.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No more shadowing. Getting into a T5 is going to depend not on more clinical experience but on research experience and that little something extra (an interesting non-clinical volunteer gig, athletics or hobby).

Reactions: 3 users
Already excessive. Time to diversity experiences.

Hopefully they have some nonclinical volunteering/helping the less fortunate experience.

Will be very difficult to get into T5 without SOME research, though not impossible if they have truly exceptional stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No
Posting for someone else:

Scribe: 1,500 hours
Clinical volunteer: 130 hours
Shadowing: 90 hours across 4 specialties

Friend wants to enroll in CNA program — I told them it would be a waste if money because they are sufficient.

What do you guys think?
Nope. Scribing covers it

MS1, here. TL;DR do more research. However, it depends on your goals.

The short answer is that the more research capability you have, the more you can contribute as a first-year, and the more likely you will match well and into highly competitive specialties. Schools see research as prestigious. If you have a first-author publication in mouse model gene up-regulation following circadian disruption, or whatever, you are not only demonstrating academic prowess but showing them that you are capable of working with accomplished faculty, that they trust you, and that your commitment to the publishing and revision process will likely translate to medical school at the highest level.

My BEST advice, though, is to do more in a field you wish to pursue. When you apply to medical school, and they ask Why Medicine, your activities should tell a story: what brought you to the field? You can't possibly want to go into all fields at once, surgical and non-surgical, inpatient and outpatient, general and specialty, longitudinal and EM. If you are interested at this point in med-peds, then perhaps becoming a CNA on an inpatient peds unit will tell the story on your AMCAS that you are excited about medical school for that specific career. If you want to work in neurology, reach out to your school's department to do more EEG research (just an example), and explain that your experience with brain research boosted your interest in studying neuronal pathologies. Let your interests guide how you spend your time, and you will find that answering "why xyz" feels much more natural.

This is all just my opinion from experience and NOT a fact/representation of my school.

MS1, here. TL;DR do more research. However, it depends on your goals.

The short answer is that the more research capability you have, the more you can contribute as a first-year, and the more likely you will match well and into highly competitive specialties. Schools see research as prestigious. If you have a first-author publication in mouse model gene up-regulation following circadian disruption, or whatever, you are not only demonstrating academic prowess but showing them that you are capable of working with accomplished faculty, that they trust you, and that your commitment to the publishing and revision process will likely translate to medical school at the highest level.

My BEST advice, though, is to do more in a field you wish to pursue. When you apply to medical school, and they ask Why Medicine, your activities should tell a story: what brought you to the field? You can't possibly want to go into all fields at once, surgical and non-surgical, inpatient and outpatient, general and specialty, longitudinal and EM. If you are interested at this point in med-peds, then perhaps becoming a CNA on an inpatient peds unit will tell the story on your AMCAS that you are excited about medical school for that specific career. If you want to work in neurology, reach out to your school's department to do more EEG research (just an example), and explain that your experience with brain research boosted your interest in studying neuronal pathologies. Let your interests guide how you spend your time, and you will find that answering "why xyz" feels much more natural.

This is all just my opinion from experience and NOT a fact/representation of my school.
The problem is that it’s almost impossible to tell what you want to do in medicine as a premed. I think the key of gaining top 5 acceptances is to tell a story that’s totally unique, most likely outside medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem is that it’s almost impossible to tell what you want to do in medicine as a premed. I think the key of gaining top 5 acceptances is to tell a story that’s totally unique, most likely outside medicine.

By outside medicine, what are we talking? This is still the run of the mill narrative, X factor, passion-based hoopla right? Just want to make sure path is correct.