Do I need more clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway198773

Reaction score
Planning on applying in the upcoming cycle. I have 125 hours of ED volunteering (stopped due to covid, program in nyc so cancelled early and only recently has come back), I have ~100 shadowing hours with multiple specialties, 10 hours blood donation volunteer (direct donor interaction but they aren't patients so I know this is grey for clinical). I am currently on a gap year working full time in clinical research with multiple 2nd author publications and plenty of non-clinical volunteer experiences.

I am not sure if my clinical experience will hold me back and if I should start another program before the cycle begins. Advice would be great, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to start another volunteer commitment now, be it ER, hospice, or clinic volunteer. Lack of clinical exposure could hold you back, and it's better to be on the safe side and get more. Keep it up until you are accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there somewhere I can post a WAMC or application review post privately? I have EC's that will dox me immediately. I am currently on waitlists planning on applying next cycle and looking for help on what I can improve.

You can post in the confidential section of this site:

It is likely your lack of clinical experience that hurt you as mentioned above from what you’ve shared so far.

You can post in the confidential section of this site:

It is likely your lack of clinical experience that hurt you as mentioned above from what you’ve shared so far.

Thanks! Just posted.

Planning on applying in the upcoming cycle. I have 125 hours of ED volunteering (stopped due to covid, program in nyc so cancelled early and only recently has come back), I have ~100 shadowing hours with multiple specialties, 10 hours blood donation volunteer (direct donor interaction but they aren't patients so I know this is grey for clinical). I am currently on a gap year working full time in clinical research with multiple 2nd author publications and plenty of non-clinical volunteer experiences.

I am not sure if my clinical experience will hold me back and if I should start another program before the cycle begins. Advice would be great, thanks
Yes, you need more. 125 hrs of volunteering is cookie cutter.

Blood donation doesn't count. At all.

You have more than enough shadowing, but you still need more patient contact experience, paid or volunteer. Shoot for 150 hrs+.