Do I need more DIY Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HVWebster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a long-time lurker, now I am seeking advice from the collective wisdom and experience here at SDN as I seek to craft the best plan and fine-tune my approach to medical school applications.

I am currently deployed right now. Once I return from a deployment next spring/summer, I will study for and take the MCAT. I will likely apply in the 22-23 Cycle, so I am trying to get everything in a row before that time approaches and also not rush a 21-22 cycle application. I know that this will also be dependent on what score I can obtain on the MCAT.

Here’s a summary of where I currently stand; thank you for your advice and input.

Work Experience:

-8.5 years as a Naval Officer, first 7.5 on Active Duty. Completed the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program training pipeline and was a nuclear engineering officer on an aircraft carrier. Supervised groups of 100 Sailors.

-3 deployments.

Education:

Undergrad: BS in Chemistry at a Service Academy, 2.96 GPA/2.59 AMCAS SGPA/2.89 AACOMAS SGPA. Significant upward trend my Senior year after a lot of self-reflection and refinement of previously nonexistent study techniques. AMCAS/AACOMAS disparity is due to several school-required engineering courses which I took after I had developed better study skills (they count for science courses in AACOMAS course distribution but not as BCPM courses as categorized by AMCAS).

DIY- Post Bacc: 27 credits, 4.0 CGPA/SGPA. All from 4-year schools, some were scattered, one complete semester.

Currently, CGPA is 3.14 overall, with AMCAS SGPA of 2.91 and AACOMAS SGPA of 3.15.

I also earned a Master’s Degree while ashore and considering staying active duty (ticket-punching for advancement, degree is science related, non-SMP) - GPA 3.90.

-No Ds, Fs, etc. Two Ws during postbacc that were not protective and were due to work requirements changing once I had enrolled into the class.

Research:

2 published scientific research articles in a minor journal, one first author.

Clinical Exposure:

6,000 hours as an EMT and Advanced EMT (paid and volunteer), including time in both traditional ambulance settings in addition to work directly for a physician at a Scout camp. I was in the process of setting up shadowing opportunities when the COVID-19 pandemic emerged.

Questions:

1. Is 27 post-bacc credits enough to show reinvention? Should I do another full semester of post-bacc work?

2. Is having an AMCAS SGPA of under 3.0 something worth correcting via additional post-bacc work , or should I just develop a school list which takes this into consideration (keeping in mind that I can’t develop that until I have a MCAT score in hand)?

3. Any other recommendations/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Is 27 post-bacc credits enough to show reinvention? Should I do another full semester of post-bacc work?
I would recommend a few semesters of 2+ science courses to show that you can handle the rigors of medical school. This also will help you get your GPA above the 3.0 cutoff that some programs have.

2. Is having an AMCAS SGPA of under 3.0 something worth correcting via additional post-bacc work , or should I just develop a school list which takes this into consideration (keeping in mind that I can’t develop that until I have a MCAT score in hand)?
Personally I would. Getting over the automatic cutoffs will make a big difference in your application cycle as it helps ensure your app is seen by a person.

3. Any other recommendations/suggestions?