do I need more "traditional" clinical experience?

Mar 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hello! I'm a nontraditional student and a current full-time occupational therapist working with the homeless senior population. Although I know that this counts as clinical experience, I was informed by someone who used to be on the admissions committee that this will not be taken "seriously" because it's not a traditional clinical setting, like a free clinic or hospital. I am very interested in street medicine/primary care/outpatient care, so I thought that this would help to highlight that interest. I also do home health per diem, but that's also not technically in a clinical setting.

will this be a big deal? I plan on shadowing some outpatient primary care doctors, but I don't want this to be a hindrance to my application.

Thanks!

TragicalDrFaust

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Shadowing sounds great. Clinical experience is how to show schools (A) you know what you're getting yourself into and (B) you can work with patients. Your current profession does a great job of the later. Shadowing will show adcoms you understand the day to day experience of a physician.

Mar 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Shadowing sounds great. Clinical experience is how to show schools (A) you know what you're getting yourself into and (B) you can work with patients. Your current profession does a great job of the later. Shadowing will show adcoms you understand the day to day experience of a physician.
Thank you :)

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.