Do I need post bac or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaappp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I went to NYU for my undergrad in economics with a math minor and got a 3.6 GPA. I also have an MBA from UCLA and have been working in the marketing area for the last 10 years where I have had a lot of success but have never been happy in my choice to not pursue a medical degree instead. For the last year I have been volunteering and closely working with a hospitals research center where I have been the lead author and statistical analyst for many papers (still pending publication). The pre-reqs I do not have are the physics track, the biology track, and organic chemistry which kind of outs me from any science SMP's. I am now 31 and have been applying to some post bac programs but find that I don't really seem like their traditional group applying. Would you recommend I take pre-reqs and take MCAT and apply directly to medical school or try to attend one of the post bad programs?

any input would be apreciated.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I went to NYU for my undergrad in economics with a math minor and got a 3.6 GPA. I also have an MBA from UCLA and have been working in the marketing area for the last 10 years where I have had a lot of success but have never been happy in my choice to not pursue a medical degree instead. For the last year I have been volunteering and closely working with a hospitals research center where I have been the lead author and statistical analyst for many papers (still pending publication). The pre-reqs I do not have are the physics track, the biology track, and organic chemistry which kind of outs me from any science SMP's. I am now 31 and have been applying to some post bac programs but find that I don't really seem like their traditional group applying. Would you recommend I take pre-reqs and take MCAT and apply directly to medical school or try to attend one of the post bad programs?

any input would be apreciated.

thank you
I would do an unofficial (DIY) post-bac by registering as a non-degree seeking student at a university and taking the classes you need. Develop a relationship with some of the profs so they can write you LOR's, get A's in the courses, refresh the gen-chem if you need it and take the MCAT. Apply directly to med school from there. An official post-bac is not needed, nor is an SMP with your GPA. SMP's are generally for applicants who have low GPA's and need a chance to prove their ability to handle med school. You have a good GPA (just a little below average matriculant, so very good compared to many non-trads) so it is not necessary in your case.

Make sure you fit in as many of the EC's as you can as well, such as research (recommended but not required) shadowing (nearly required) clinical volunteering/employment (essentially required) etc.

An informal postbac will suffice, just register as a non-degree-seeking student and take the prereqs. 3.6 is fine and ideally you will even raise it a bit.

Just be sure to get to know your professors, because you will need recs from them and you won't have a lot of time. That's the main advantage of the formal postbacs, they give you a bit of a community. I went the informal route and always felt a little weird but managed to impress the profs, which is all that matters. :cool:

edit: Yeah... what seeker said.

Members don't see this ad :)
just do the pre requisites and apply. You don't need any kind of formal program.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for all the Responses! I will go about that route. Good luck to all.