Do I need stopwatch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I know this is an odd question. I am 2nd year student about to go out on my rotations. I generally never use a watch for obvious reasons. I was curious if its a good idea to invest in some kind of a watch? Would I need it? Any suggestions for a useful watch?
Again, I know its a odd concern, but I would be thankful for input!❤️

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you need a watch. It is important to know time of day for when sessions start/end (sure there are clocks, but watch is better) and ability to time for outcome measures, taking manual HR, etc. Nothing fancy is needed- cheap digital watch with stopwatch is good.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on your preference. I have my phone off all day, so I use a watch. does not matter what kind of watch as long as it works. I did not use a watch when I was in an outpatient gym where there is a clock on the wall. I do not use stop watch since when I time something I just notice the start time and end time lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree, it also lets you know when you need to wrap up a visit so you don't get behind.

Definitely need one, but it doesn't need to by fancy. I've used everything from an apple watch to a $15 casio.

I don't think a stop watch is necessary, but it is definitely easier to manage when doing outcome measures than carrying your phone. Most facilities don't encourage use of your personal phone either, so that may not work. I don't think it's a crucial investment since most clinics almost always supply stop watches in the facility. I wear one because it's convenient to check your start and stop times of your sessions for documentation rather than pulling my phone out every 30 minutes.