Spine rehab after disc issues/surgery – how do you approach it in practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlexHarper

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to understand how PTs actually progress rehab after disc issues or surgeries like microdiscectomy in real clinical settings.

Online rehab content (especially from social media) often looks very aggressive or “one program fits all,” which feels quite different from what we learn academically.

How do you usually decide:
  • when to progress loading/exercises
  • how cautious to be with flexion/extension early on
  • how much patient symptoms change your plan vs set protocols
Also, how do you deal with patients who come in already following online rehab programs?

I’ve been trying to organize my own understanding of spine rehab concepts, and I’d really appreciate hearing how clinicians actually approach this in practice.
 
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to understand how PTs actually progress rehab after disc issues or surgeries like microdiscectomy in real clinical settings.

Online rehab content (especially from social media) often looks very aggressive or “one program fits all,” which feels quite different from what we learn academically.

How do you usually decide:
  • when to progress loading/exercises
  • how cautious to be with flexion/extension early on
  • how much patient symptoms change your plan vs set protocols
Also, how do you deal with patients who come in already following online rehab programs?

I’ve been trying to organize my own understanding of spine rehab concepts, and I’d really appreciate hearing how clinicians actually approach this in practice.
 
Great question — real-world spine rehab is usually much more individualized than what we see online. Most PTs progress exercises based on symptom response, movement tolerance, and functional improvement rather than fixed timelines alone. Patient irritability and confidence often guide how cautious we are with flexion/extension early on.

Patients following aggressive online rehab programs are common now, so education and gradual progression become really important. I’ve also seen clinics like Better Health Alaska emphasize a patient-specific rehab approach instead of “one-size-fits-all” protocols.
 
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to understand how PTs actually progress rehab after disc issues or surgeries like microdiscectomy in real clinical settings.

Online rehab content (especially from social media) often looks very aggressive or “one program fits all,” which feels quite different from what we learn academically.

How do you usually decide:
  • when to progress loading/exercises
  • how cautious to be with flexion/extension early on
  • how much patient symptoms change your plan vs set protocols
Also, how do you deal with patients who come in already following online rehab programs?

I’ve been trying to organize my own understanding of spine rehab concepts, and I’d really appreciate hearing how clinicians actually approach this in practice.
In real practice, spine rehab is rarely “one program fits all.” Most PTs progress patients based more on symptom response, irritability, and daily function rather than strict timelines alone.

Early after disc injuries or microdiscectomy, I’m usually cautious with movements that clearly reproduce symptoms, but I also don’t treat flexion or extension as permanently bad. The biggest factor is how the patient responds during and after sessions.

Social media rehab often shows advanced stages without context, so when patients come in following online programs, I usually educate them on pacing and individual tolerance instead of completely shutting their ideas down.

A lot of spine rehab is really about gradual loading, symptom management, and building confidence again.