Do I need to do an early Psych AI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which do you recommend for 4th yr, given only a "high pass" in 3rd yr psych rotation

• Definitely do an early Psych AI

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Nah, it doesn't matter. Fun Psych elective.

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

psych2b

ever hopeful
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the info regarding residency start dates (other thread). I was wondering if you could give me your opinions regarding whether or not I should do an early Psych AI.

I'm at a pretty decent US med school (people don't say "huh? where's that?" when I mention it), and am a fairly good student (not all honors, but some). The problem is that I did NOT get Honors in my 3rd year psych rotation (WTF?). I got a "high pass." Umm... I want to go into psych, and everything looked good, but apparently getting a 91/100 on the shelf only qualified me for a High Pass (according to the course director, this was the deciding factor). Ok, nevermind that. What should I do now?

The psychiatry residency director and two career advisors all say that I shouldn't do an early Psych AI, but I thought that it would help my otherwise non-stellar performance? I mean, what's it say that I can Honor in Medicine, but not Psych - when I want to go INTO PSYCH? AAaargh.

Also, though, the director and advisors keep telling me to "just stay here for psych residency" and this year, all but one of the graduating class going into psych IS STAYING HERE. That's weird, right? Especially when 3 years ago, no one stayed here... So, I don't know if they're telling me not to do it b/c (a) I'm such a dope that there's no chance I'll do well enough to make a good enough impression to improve my chances with residency programs, or (b) they have a secret plan to try and make me look less than stellar so that I will only be ranked here. Stupid and egotistical, I know... I don't really mean it.

So, what's the verdict? Do a Psych AI, or is just some fun Psych elective okay (forensic, outpatient, consult-liaison, child outpatient)?

(of note, I am already scheduled to do an externship at the program I desperately want to attend for residency, later in the fall, even though my psych res dir and all the other profs here said they'd never heard of it, that it was a bad idea, and why don't I just stay here)....

Ok, thanks for any opinions/advice.

PS any recs for psych books to help me with the psych 4th year AI, if I should have to do one? (instead of the silly board review books I used for 3rd year?)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about not "honoring" psychiatry. It doesn't cut you out of the running, even at highly competitive programs, as long as the rest of your application is good.

I think the main reason to do an AI early is if you need a letter from it. If you really want to go to a specific place, it helps to have a letter from there in your application (or if it's later in the year that you're at your preferred program, you could ask for them to send a letter/e-mail to be included in your file).

As far as books, I don't know that you need to necessarily read ahead to do well. I think asking the attending for articles or books they would recommend while you are doing the rotation is the best way to show your interest in learning, and in your attending's opinion ;) .

Best of luck to you.

Do you have a feeling for how any of the faculty that you actually worked with liked you? Did you get to read their comments? It sounds like you´re not terribly excited at the idea of staying at your school, so if you think that you can get a good recommendation from someone in the department (not necessarily the clerkship director or chair), I wouldn´t bother with an AI at your school. Why not try out other fields that you won´t get to spend much time in after this year or do an away elective in another place that you´re interested in? You might either a) make a great impression or b) discover it isn´t as good as you thought (or c) make a bad impression, but that´s just a risk). My 2 cents.