Do I need to let programs know that I'm a US Citizen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I went to an international school, but I'm a US citizen. On my CAS, I did not check the box where it says that "I require work permit/visa". On my "profile", I've also entered the last 4 of my SSN.

In one of my LORs, my LOR writer specifically mentioned that I'm a US citizen.

My question is... do I need to inform programs separately? I understand that those that aren't US citizens are at a significant disadvantage. Will programs know that I am a US citizen by mention of my SSN and fact that I don't require a visa? (I have 3 interviews as of today)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They will know that you are American if you are not on a visa. You don't need to announce it.

If you grew up in USA, went to college in USA and then left for med school that may not look good depending on your school. I'm sure you know this.

Reactions: 1 user
Two things: a) u don't need to tell them that u're a US citizen, it's not relevant to ur residency application and it's definitely not required and prolly inappropriate/illegal for programs to ask. b) u DO NOT have to be a citizen to be considered for a residency position, u just need to have a legal right to work in the US by virtue of being a US citizen, greencard holder, work-permit holder, appropriate work visa holder etc. That's it.

It's illegal for to factor nationality or country of origin in employment (courtesy of federal law); only the right to legally work in the US is relevant here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They will know that you are American if you are not on a visa. You don't need to announce it.

If you grew up in USA, went to college in USA and then left for med school that may not look good depending on your school. I'm sure you know this.
Thanks! I am optimistic of my chances as I went to a good school. Fingers crossed.

Two things: a) u don't need to tell them that u're a US citizen, it's not relevant to ur residency application and it's definitely not required and prolly inappropriate/illegal for programs to ask. b) u DO NOT have to be a citizen to be considered for a residency position, u just need to have a legal right to work in the US by virtue of being a US citizen, greencard holder, work-permit holder, appropriate work visa holder etc. That's it.

It's illegal for to factor nationality or country of origin in employment (courtesy of federal law); only the right to legally work in the US is relevant here.

Ok... Let's not act like these stuff isn't real. There is what should happen and then there is what does happen. Here's some more on this:

1) you don't have to be an American citizen or green card holder. Some programs will ask you about your status if you have a green card or visa. I had a program director grill me about my green card and only lay it to rest once they realized I was taking my citizenship exam and planned to remain in the US. I found it ridiculously offensive, but whAt can you do...

2) Though you don't require permanent status in the country (green card or citizenship) there are programs that notoriously do not take FMG. There are also many programs that look down on FMG who could have gone to American/Canadian medical school; more so than FMG that went to school in their home countries and then came to USA.
Your situation is unique, but the people that I've met who have gone to Caribbean/Israel/wherever that were Americans had to have amazing applications to match to Ophtho and even then... They matched middle tier at best, whereas an American graduated applicant with similar stats seemed to get more interviews and more opportunities.

I'm not trying to put anyone down. But these are realities that everyone needs to be aware of. I'm sure you will do excellent as you liked have anticipated some of these challenges.

Best of luck,

DrZeke