Do I need to retake this class???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostfirstgen

Reaction score
My freshman year of college I received a C- in Gen Biology 1, but my school will not allow me to retake the class because I got above a D. I know biology is a prerequisite for most schools but they don't always clarify if they only are wanting general biology or if any biology classes count. I am a biology major so its not like gen. bio. 1&2 are the only biology courses I've taken. Should I spend more money to retake GB1 at another school or do you think they will look past it since I have other biology credits?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will accept C-, others won't. Check out their websites or email them.

UCSF: You must earn at least a "C -" grade in requirements "a" through "g."

UNE: All prerequisite courses must be successfully completed with a grade of "C" or better ("C minus" grades not acceptable)

Reactions: 1 user
If they won't let you retake it, do it at a CC. If it was just a C you'd be fine but the C- is a bit of a grey area (i think)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation. My advisor had me call one of the schools that I plan on applying to in order to verify if the other Bio courses would count towards the biology prerequisites and they said it would. I'm not sure if this is the same with all schools. In my opinion if you got a C- in an introductory biology class during your first semester of college, but got A's (or B's) in upper level biology classes such as Genetics, Microbiology, Botany, Ecology ect., then you should be fine.

I'm in a similar situation. My advisor had me call one of the schools that I plan on applying to in order to verify if the other Bio courses would count towards the biology prerequisites and they said it would. I'm not sure if this is the same with all schools. In my opinion if you got a C- in an introductory biology class during your first semester of college, but got A's (or B's) in upper level biology classes such as Genetics, Microbiology, Botany, Ecology ect., then you should be fine.
Depends on the school. Doesn't matter if you got straight A's in upper div science courses if you got a C- in gen bio and the school sees that as not passing.

Depends on the school. Doesn't matter if you got straight A's in upper div science courses if you got a C- in gen bio and the school sees that as not passing.
Interesting. So If I plan on applying this cycle, will I stand a chance if just retake gen bio during that gap year along with biochem?

I know a lot of schools only accept C's, nothing below that for ur pre req's. I would retake that course so u dont have to limit the schools u can apply to.

I guess it's really dependent on the school because my university doesn't offer a general biology. It's only Cell bio, A&P, Genetics ect. At least one of the schools I talked to said that any of the two would fulfill that general bio prerequisite. I received a C- in cell bio, and A's in the other bio classes, so some schools may take only the bio courses in which you got a C or higher as the pre reqs. Therefore the C- would be just be a crappy grade in an elective class.

I guess it's really dependent on the school because my university doesn't offer a general biology. It's only Cell bio, A&P, Genetics ect. At least one of the schools I talked to said that any of the two would fulfill that general bio prerequisite. I received a C- in cell bio, and A's in the other bio classes, so some schools may take only the bio courses in which you got a C or higher as the pre reqs. Therefore the C- would be just be a crappy grade in an elective class.
Yeah I think it depends on the school. Here's what UCSF says:

"Biological Sciences: One year of general biology or zoology with laboratory, designed for science majors. Vertebrate zoology is strongly recommended. (Note: Anatomy, botany or elementary courses of a descriptive nature cannot be used to complete this requirement.)"

Reactions: 1 users