Medical Do I need to take upper level bio classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a sophomore psychology major and am planning to start pre med courses Bio 1/ Chem 1 next semester. Pre reqs are going to fill up all the extra class space I have left for my degree. But, I’ve been reading online that it’s recommended to take some upper level bio courses to help with the MCAT. I want to go into studying for the mcat without having to self teach myself new things as much as possible so would you guys recommend that I take these extra classes? if so which out of these would you recommend: A/P 1, A/P 2, Genetics, microbio, cell bio, Molecular genetics, and/ or Human physiology? I’d probably do 2 or 3 at the most because I’d be paying out of pocket and not on scholarship.
Honestly, all of that stuff is on the MCAT. If I remember correctly, I had quite a bit of genetics and cell biology on my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

So, it's all "on the MCAT," but to varying degrees, and theoretically your intro classes should cover them in enough detail to prepare you reasonably well.

That said, each university has slightly different bents to their intro bio courses. Some will be heavier on genetics, others on cell bio, etc. My advice would be not to worry too much about this now--focus on doing well in your intro classes. If at the end you decide you still want to go to med school, take stock of the areas where your intro courses may have been lacking, and take those classes to shore up those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.