Medical Should I take more classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi,

Since I wasn't sure what chances I would have for an acceptance this cycle, I took some classes over the summer to boost up my GPA (the weakest aspect of my application) and did well in them. Thankfully, I have gotten accepted into a school I can see myself attending (although not necessarily one of my top choices) and have several upcoming IIs (again, none at my top choices yet).

However, I have also been placed on hold for several other schools; I plan to send an update letter with my new grades to see if they will consider my app further. Should I consider taking more classes for fall/spring semesters in case it helps me get off hold/waitlist, which I think may be likely at my top choice schools? I am also volunteering and working, but would prioritize my classes. Thank you!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I would not do anything with the intent of improving your chances to receive an interview this cycle. A couple of recent good grades are not going to take you from on hold to the interview pile.

Realistically speaking, very little in terms of updates is likely to have an impact on receiving interviews from this cycle. If you intend on matriculating to the school you have been accepted to then I would just spend your time doing things you enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully, I have gotten accepted into a school I can see myself attending (although not necessarily one of my top choices) and have several upcoming IIs (again, none at my top choices yet).
If you don't have an academic update period coming up, there's nothing you can do. If the school accepts updates, you can send it but your GPA won't be adjusted unless you go through an academic update to verify your new transcript. AMCAS doesn't allow for academic updates so you are out of luck. Emailing schools could draw attention to your application in a negative light if you are already on hold and unlikely to get an II.

Focus on your interviews. If you don't, you might be left with your guaranteed acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.