Do I really need a co-signer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EarlyEditionDude

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I have a good credit score, say 730, will I need a co-signer for private loans?
 
Originally posted by EarlyEditionDude
If I have a good credit score, say 730, will I need a co-signer for private loans?

You will if you don't have the requisite income. My credit score was 800 and I needed a cosigner --- even though I had the assets to cover twice the sale price of the house. I hate bankers.

Ed
 
Try shopping around. I qualified for up to a $140,000 mortgage with no income and no cosigner. Interest rate was only slightly higher (I don't remember how much but my rate is only 4.65% on a 7-year ARM). They called it a no-documentation loan, for people with good credit that don't want to reveal their income source. I only had to sign a paper that said I had the money to make the payments. They offered 103% of the sale value as well if I wanted to take out a HELOC and again with no need to provide a source of income. This was at countrywide. So, it is possible, just check around.