Feb 25, 2016
43
9
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,


I registered to take the MCAT on August 25th. 95% of content review is finished. The amount of content review that is left does not scare me because they are subjects that I am familiar with and only need to refresh a few ideas.


However, the closer I get to the test date, the less confident I feel. I have not taken any full lengths and I am afraid that two weeks of practice with full length will not be enough. Basically, I think emotionally, I am not where I want to be and it is only getting worse.

My plan is to only write this exam ONCE, so I do now want to go in there with the thought that I am going to void it.

The next time I can take the MCAT is next year ( because I don't want to prep for mcat and study full time at the same time). However, taking the mcat next year significantly complicates pretty much everything in my life and that is why I have been pushing myself to take it this summer.

I have a solid foundation in sciences and are used to taking tests with limited time, but mentally and emotionally I feel "spaced-out". It is hard for me to accept not to take the mcat this summer, especially after all my investment, both in terms of money and more importantly energy.

I was wondering what are your suggestions? Should I take a few more days then assess? then if things do not improve, I will have to accept that writing it next year is a better bet?
If I cancel the registration, and take the exam next year, will this hurt my application for med school ?


I appreciate your time for reading my post
Many thanks
 
L

Lrnq

Hello everyone,


I registered to take the MCAT on August 25th. 95% of content review is finished. The amount of content review that is left does not scare me because they are subjects that I am familiar with and only need to refresh a few ideas.


However, the closer I get to the test date, the less confident I feel. I have not taken any full lengths and I am afraid that two weeks of practice with full length will not be enough. Basically, I think emotionally, I am not where I want to be and it is only getting worse.

My plan is to only write this exam ONCE, so I do now want to go in there with the thought that I am going to void it.

The next time I can take the MCAT is next year ( because I don't want to prep for mcat and study full time at the same time). However, taking the mcat next year significantly complicates pretty much everything in my life and that is why I have been pushing myself to take it this summer.

I have a solid foundation in sciences and are used to taking tests with limited time, but mentally and emotionally I feel "spaced-out". It is hard for me to accept not to take the mcat this summer, especially after all my investment, both in terms of money and more importantly energy.

I was wondering what are your suggestions? Should I take a few more days then assess? then if things do not improve, I will have to accept that writing it next year is a better bet?
If I cancel the registration, and take the exam next year, will this hurt my application for med school ?


I appreciate your time for reading my post
Many thanks
Personally, I would not take the mcat just to void it. If you do that, you won't get to see your score and it basically will have been a practice test where you can't actually evaluate how you did or see where you can improve.

My opinion would be, postpone only if you are 100% sure you will have time to study and take practice tests next year. I think it is important to integrate practice tests into your studying. That being said, you could also just shift the next two weeks and spend all your time on practice tests and passages rather than content review. Personally, I only studied for 6 weeks and did a bunch of practice tests in the last 2-3 weeks. I was in a similar position and was upset by having to delay my MCAT by almost a year. In the end, it was fine. You should take it when you feel it will give you your best shot to do well.

Also, one thing to think about is that you're probably never going to feel completely ready or confident. If you've put in the effort and time for your studying, you're probably more prepared than you think or feel you are.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sh.h
Jun 15, 2016
137
69
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,


I registered to take the MCAT on August 25th. 95% of content review is finished. The amount of content review that is left does not scare me because they are subjects that I am familiar with and only need to refresh a few ideas.


However, the closer I get to the test date, the less confident I feel. I have not taken any full lengths and I am afraid that two weeks of practice with full length will not be enough. Basically, I think emotionally, I am not where I want to be and it is only getting worse.

My plan is to only write this exam ONCE, so I do now want to go in there with the thought that I am going to void it.

The next time I can take the MCAT is next year ( because I don't want to prep for mcat and study full time at the same time). However, taking the mcat next year significantly complicates pretty much everything in my life and that is why I have been pushing myself to take it this summer.

I have a solid foundation in sciences and are used to taking tests with limited time, but mentally and emotionally I feel "spaced-out". It is hard for me to accept not to take the mcat this summer, especially after all my investment, both in terms of money and more importantly energy.

I was wondering what are your suggestions? Should I take a few more days then assess? then if things do not improve, I will have to accept that writing it next year is a better bet?
If I cancel the registration, and take the exam next year, will this hurt my application for med school ?


I appreciate your time for reading my post
Many thanks
So my advice would be to just take it next year. I think that two weeks of taking full lengths will not be enough because you don't want to take them too close together. You want to take it and then access and study to implement your weak areas.

I also would not go into the exam to take and maybe void. From my experience and from others I have talked to, I thought I bombed it and really considered voiding but got >90percentile. So if you even consider voiding now then you might void when the time comes and you could have actually gotten a great score.

Overall, I think you should wait until next year. It will absolutely not hurt your chances for applying next year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sh.h
OP
sh.h
Feb 25, 2016
43
9
Status
Pre-Medical
So my advice would be to just take it next year. I think that two weeks of taking full lengths will not be enough because you don't want to take them too close together. You want to take it and then access and study to implement your weak areas.

I also would not go into the exam to take and maybe void. From my experience and from others I have talked to, I thought I bombed it and really considered voiding but got >90percentile. So if you even consider voiding now then you might void when the time comes and you could have actually gotten a great score.

Overall, I think you should wait until next year. It will absolutely not hurt your chances for applying next year.

I rescheduled for september 9th. This means I cannot apply for this cycle and have to apply for next cycle.
Since any date after august 31st would be considered for the next cycle, I am thinking of even doing a later, maybe January.

Problem is:
1. I have already paid for the test and to reschedule it
2. I have already spent time and energy

On one hand, doing it later during the year may make things worse since I will already be in my second year in pharmacy and keeping As everywhere is only going to get harder.

On the other hand, I know that it is not recommended to do the mcat and study full time, but I am thinking I have covered the whole material and now I need to practice and tone it.


Any thought or suggestion would be much appreciated?