Do I stand a chance at MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princetaplan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am heading into the application process and I’m somewhat nervous about applying

My info:
Majors: Gender Studies/Biology
URM (Black male) non traditional student (2 years out)
cGPA: 3.37 (dip sophomore year but improvement since then)
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: 518 (130/127/129/132)
Undergrad: HYPSM
Clinical hours: over 1000 as an ED scribe, Shadowing in surgery, ob/gyn, ID/HIV, and primary care
Research: 1.5 years clinical public health research on LGBT mental health, no pubs; completed a gender studies ethnographic thesis that received awards/commendation
Volunteer: HIV testing/prevention staff part time for 1.5 years in college. Was passionate about this so went into the field after college where I help connect queer people of color get connected to prevention/treatment resources
My LORs are range from decent to fantastic!
Home State: IL

Could you all help me put together a list of MD schools to apply to? Or if I even stand a chance?
Clarify: non-traditional 2 years out. Does this mean you already graduated and have been working 2 years post-graduation? How did you do with your upper-level biomedical science classes?

Have you reached out to diversity/student affairs officers at schools that you highly desire to attend? How about current students either on SDN or through AMSA or SNMA? Obviously all your in-state options should be considered in play, but you may raise your target a little higher if that's of interest.

You are competitive for many MD schools and I suggest these:
Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
With your MCAT you could also try reaches such as Duke, Emory, U Chicago, NYU, Mount Sinai, Pittsburgh, Case Western and Rochester.

Reactions: 1 user