Medical Do I stand a chance to get into Medical School with extensive criminal background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from University in 2009 with a cGPA of 2.309. I took me 8 years to graduate with a lot of F's and D's. I got a B.S. in Geography/GIS. I didn't study. If it matters of the 8 years I had 1 year of Community College with a 2.7 gpa (I transferred to University afterwards). The University GPA does not factor in Community College GPA.

I did not take any pre-requisite coursework with the exception of Physics with lab in Fall 03. That semester I withdrew from University and the following semester I took Physics without lab and got F, again I didn't study.

I have a B average in English classes (one medical school I looked at required 6 hours of English).

2007 - I have over 100 hours volunteering in an ER.

2008 - I have 6 months part-time working as a patient transporter in hospital.

In 2013 I reenrolled at University and took intro Biology class but due to extenuating circumstances I withdrew from University.

I also have a criminal/traffic record.

4 - DWIs (last one in 2014)
Malicious Destruction of Property (2008)
Assault 2nd Degree (2008, may be expunged)
2- Leaving the scene of the accident (2008, 2016)
Many other various traffic tickets (less serious)

Arrest year listed above, conviction occurred later.

I have done jail time, (4 days, 60 days, 8 months, 6 months, 5 months).

I’m 36 now and a very changed person.

I were to reenrolled at University in Spring and take 2 pre-requisite courses per semester over a period of 2 years. I would take Calculus in the summer. These would be at the 100-200 level.

Biological Sciences (with lab) – 8 hours
Inorganic Chemistry (with lab) – 8 hours
Organic Chemistry (with lab) – 8 hours
Physics (with lab) – 8 hours
Calculus – 4 hours

During the above time I would shadow a doctor.

If I were to get A’s in the aforementioned classes (no B's or C's) AND score in the 90th percentile on the MCAT. Would there be a chance I would get into an Allopathic Medical School (non-Caribbean) or no chance at all?

I have made regrettable mistakes in life but my mistakes are not reflective of my good character that I possess.
My opinion: That criminal background record is a big concern. Long history that in some cases is still a little too recent (within your 30s). Four DUI convictions are too many I think. You'll need to check with how state boards of medicine will look at your record.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't sugar coat this: your medical career is over.

Here's the barrier you face, in addition to what my learned colleague has pointed out:

Adcoms will wonder:

"is this the type of person we want as a student?"

"why accept this person when we have some many qualified applicants who haven't done all these things?"

Multiple arrests and convictions telegraph that you do not learn your lessons. You have FIVE convictions and one as recent as 2016. That's enough to convince me that I couldn't accept you.

Apart of the criminal/traffic convictions what about my academics as I outlined?

A medical school states as follows:

Do any of the following preclude me from applying to medical school – a criminal conviction of any kind? a student record of academic or disciplinary misconduct?

The answer in general here is “no”. It is important to note though that in some states a criminal record might eventually lead to denial of your application for a license to practice medicine. This obviously depends on the nature (severity) of the criminal offense. If you have a history of arrest or of academic or campus misconduct, you MUST explain the circumstances of the situation and their consequences in both your AMCAS and secondary applications. The Committee on Admissions will very carefully consider this information in conjunction with all of the other materials submitted with your application. This will allow them to make an informed decision regarding your suitability as a medical student and, eventually, as a practicing physician.
Networking is very important to tease out the application of policy, especially when it comes to committee behavior. Have you actually connected with someone at this medical school about your situation? What did they tell you?

Many of us on this forum serve on admissions committees and have insight in how our committees will review an application such as yours. You can always take your chances, especially with newer schools on provisional accreditation or perhaps the Caribbean. However, this issue with your criminal background will come up time and time again when looking at whether you would be allowed to work at clinical locations during your training, volunteering in programs where children may be involved, or licensure discussions. We have even had to rescind offers when enough questions were raised after a background check was performed by clinical faculty in charge of student volunteering opportunities. We're giving you a pretty good insight of the difficulties we see and have experienced. For many faculty the criminal background history is going to override any good feelings that one could have about your academic accomplishments in recent coursework.

Thank you for your upfront responses.

I have not contacted anybody at this medical school, but I plan on doing that, as I thought I first ask here.

I might take the chance as I will most likely regret not trying and I understand the difficulties that lay ahead. I have nothing to lose as I see myself nowhere in 10 years. I will attempt to network if I do this.

My post baccalaureate courses as mentioned in my original post would suffice, (these are the minimum courses required by University of Maryland) or based on your experience taking upper level courses be necessary especially with my subpar B.S. performance?

If I were to attain all A's in my first year of pre-med courses I would take Biochemistry otherwise I would drop this altogether.
For many faculty I have worked with, their concerns about your criminal history (as you have itemized) will override any concerns voiced on your academics no matter how good your recent course grades are.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.