Do I stand a chance with my old GPA??

Started by ultramman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ultramman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a returning college student after a 8 year break from school. My first attempt was a poor one- I finished up with a 2.5 GPA. Now, 8 years later I am wrapping up my degree in biology with a chem minor. I have a science GPA of 3.91 including all pre-med requirements... My total GPA is still weak due to the poor past-- a measly 3.1 GPA. I have done all the most recent schooling while working 50+ hours a week as a manager at a grocery store in charge of 55 employees and millions of dollars of product a year(I have worked there 13 years- 7 of which management). I have great LOR's from health professionals and professors. But I have heard horror stories of low GPA's dooming all chances for most applicants. I am preparing as we speak for the MCAT, but am sidetracked after someone telling me not even to bother appying with such a low overall GPA--- Is that the case?? Any info would be great!
 
Read my response to traumaturtle a couple post's down. Anyone who tells you that you can't do it is a douche.
 
My pre-health advising committee leader (whew) has told me that some students have worked their way up from a 1.9 to a 2.9 and got accepted. Now, you may not get into Johns Hopkins, but i'm sure someone will give you a chance!

Not to mention: I don't think your GPA is all that bad!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a returning college student after a 8 year break from school. My first attempt was a poor one- I finished up with a 2.5 GPA. Now, 8 years later I am wrapping up my degree in biology with a chem minor. I have a science GPA of 3.91 including all pre-med requirements... My total GPA is still weak due to the poor past-- a measly 3.1 GPA. I have done all the most recent schooling while working 50+ hours a week as a manager at a grocery store in charge of 55 employees and millions of dollars of product a year(I have worked there 13 years- 7 of which management). I have great LOR's from health professionals and professors. But I have heard horror stories of low GPA's dooming all chances for most applicants. I am preparing as we speak for the MCAT, but am sidetracked after someone telling me not even to bother appying with such a low overall GPA--- Is that the case?? Any info would be great!

Your GPA is still low, though your science GPA is fantastic. If you can go to school full time for a bit of time, you can really bring that up. But you do need to ace the MCAT.
 
I am in a similar position. My original GPA was 2.66. I have been back in school for a few years, and am now finishing a master's in psychology. I also took a few classes at the undergrad level and have basically been running 3.9 the whole time. I going to take some more classes to get the sciences done, and I am hoping that schools will take all this into account.