Nontrad career changer Low gpa old prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goldensun23

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been a software engineer for about 5 years and am looking to change to medicine. I graduated Fall 2019 with a bachelor of arts in cs. I completed all of the premed prereqs as an undergrad, but was not a very good student. I have a low GPA 3.1/3.27 scGPA/cGPA, 519 MCAT. I’m also concerned that the earlier prereqs that I took as a freshman are about 10 years old and schools would not accept them. What’s the best way to improve my GPA. Is it reasonable to just DIY upper level courses or is it better to look at more formal postbac options like SMPs?
 
I say with a 519 MCAT, you're fine (you obviously have the knowledge), maybe take a science class or two at a local college. My pre-reqs I took in my BS in CS were 15ish years old, only one school said my pre-reqs were too old, but I showed them upper-level classes in those subjects I had taken (plus OChem I never took), and they ended up accepting the undergrad courses. I think your GPA is above the screening cut off for most schools (3.00), so I wouldn't worry too much about that. To move an undergrad GPA from 3.2 (assuming 120 CR, but us CS majors ended up with more like 140) you'd have to take another 72CR at a 4.00 to move it up to a 3.5.

Unless your GPA trend is downward, then you should probably do a more extensive post-bac/SMP too combat that downward trend.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would be a great candidate for a SMP.

Otherwise just stack on ~30 recent postbac credits (DIY is fine). You will need to do the usual premed stuff to fill out your application, meaning obtaining clinical exposure and sufficient non-clinical volunteering.

Hopefully your MCAT doesn't expire in the meantime.
 
I believe these are "specific" questions you should be asking individual programs. I wouldn't do an SMP with an MCAT of 519. Having said that, I also don't believe you have a 519 MCAT lol.
 
I absolutely believe they have a 519: the "splitter" applicant with a high MCAT and low GPA is quite common in nontrads. The Georgetown SMP is pricey but would almost certainly lead to multiple MD interviews. A nonformal postbacc would be cheaper but it might be hard to get north of 3.5.
 
While the sGPA may favor considering an SMP, I would look at the grades and prereqs you took, as the OP graduated with a comp sci degree. It's possible a career-changer postbac program where the OP must retake prereqs might be appropriate.

Also, check on retroactive withdrawals if the original BS was completed over 10 years ago. When did you take the MCAT? Why did you take the MCAT?