Do I stand a chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T14dan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening future dentists,
I applied this year with something like a shadow of hope that I would get accepted. The clock, it seems, is running out. My overall GPA, science GPA and BCP are all 3.2 and my DAT is a 20 with no section below an 18.
I was moderately hopeful this year since I did a post bacc last year and got a 3.7 in all upper level biology classes. I have a chemistry publication and lot of sports honors (tennis state champion/club champion ect). As an added bonus, I have spent the last months working at a hospital in surgical research and recieved a great letter of recommendation from a respected doctor who heads the research department at the hospital. I add these extras not to brag, but to give a little more perspective into my overall application. Overall, I thought my grade trends and EC's with a decent DAT would be sufficient to land me one or two pre-december interviews, but that looks like a pathologically optimistic forecast now, especially given some of the unearthly stats you folks have obtained(well done btw). Does anyone from the community have recommendations in regards to my current cycle(things I can/should do)? Anyone with similar stats/background having any luck? I'm a 25 year old white male from a middle class family, so privilege points are off the table.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Tdan14, how many/what schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your odds are good if you applied early and broadly (12-15 schools that are a good match). Your "privilege points" comment is troublesome.

Reactions: 6 users
I applied to 19 schools about 2-3 weeks after the application opened, but my post-bacc transcripts didn't get in until Mid August, because a parking ticket I was unaware of held that process up. I actually support affirmative action and meant that "privilege points" thing to be a joke. If it was offensive to anyone, I do apologize. I'm an NC resident, so I have two state schools to work with.
Schools I applied to:
Boston
CASE
Columbia
MUSC
ECU
Midwestern (rejected already)
NYU
Oregon (rejected)
Temple
Colorado
Tufts
Alabama
Connecticut
Louisville
Maryland
UNC
Tennessee
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia

Reactions: 1 user
You didn't get any pre December interviews? I'm really surprised by that.

Your odds are good if you applied early and broadly (12-15 schools that are a good match). Your "privilege points" comment is troublesome.

Last edited:
Personally, I would contact the admissions departments of some of the schools (UNC and ECU especially) and politely ask if they have received your app in full and that you are very interested in their program. Definitely be proactive: some schools (ex UNC) have few interview dates left.

Good luck!

Would you suggest a call or an email? Also, should I wait until January to contact them or just send it now? I appreciate the advice.

I'm actually surprised that you didn't get any so far. With just the info you have given me I think some schools should have given you a pre-dec. If you don't mind what is your undergrad GPA (fresh, soph, jun, senior), and graduate GPA. Also which undergrad did you attend (to help with the perspective).

I'm actually surprised that you didn't get any so far. With just the info you have given me I think some schools should have given you a pre-dec. If you don't mind what is your undergrad GPA (fresh, soph, jun, senior), and graduate GPA. Also which undergrad did you attend (to help with the perspective).

Undergrad GPA was a 3.05 at Furman University, it's most rigorous school in South Carolina, but certainly nothing like an IVY league. Not sure about GPA each year, but here are my pre-req grades. ChemI-A ChemII-A, Bio1-A, PhysicsI-B, Physics2-A, Ochem1-A Ochem2-C+, and Bio2-B, Calculus-A. I did pretty well in the pre-req courses, but I had a serious medical condition my senior year and then a terrible reaction to the medicine I was prescribed. I tried to graduate with these things going on and ended up with like a 2.3 or so for my senior year GPA. That's why, when I recovered, I went and did the yearlong post bacc (university, not community college) and got a 3.7. I am worried about that downward trend my senior year, but I tried to explain it in the app.

Undergrad GPA was a 3.05 at Furman University, it's most rigorous school in South Carolina, but certainly nothing like an IVY league. Not sure about GPA each year, but here are my pre-req grades. ChemI-A ChemII-A, Bio1-A, PhysicsI-B, Physics2-A, Ochem1-A Ochem2-C+, and Bio2-B, Calculus-A. I did pretty well in the pre-req courses, but I had a serious medical condition my senior year and then a terrible reaction to the medicine I was prescribed. I tried to graduate with these things going on and ended up with like a 2.3 or so for my senior year GPA. That's why, when I recovered, I went and did the yearlong post bacc (university, not community college) and got a 3.7. I am worried about that downward trend my senior year, but I tried to explain it in the app.
Your undergrad doesn't sound like a complete disaster or anything and your post bacc at a 4 year school should definitely help a lot. I would also suggest contacting the schools like others on here have said, saying you're still interested after dec 1.

Despite the fact that it is a downward trend on senior year (which you turned back into upward for post back), everything looks good to me. You should have gotten 1-2 interviews pre dec at least. What did you write about in your P.S. and how much many medical/dental related hours did you do.

My personal statement was a 1st person narrative about an experience I had volunteering at a free dental clinic in charlotte. I should say that I made a few jokes in my personal statement, but they were pretty reserved and added some color to the story. I did conclude with the stereotypical paragraph of "why dentistry" where I connected my experiences with why I want to pursue dentistry.
I had about 130 hours dental related experiences. (shadowing, viewing surgery, volunteering as a dental assistant at the free clinic, and NC MOM Clinic (statewide free dental clinic) In the medical field, I have worked in translational research for the past 6 months where we do research trials on virtual reality surgery and see how it translates to real world surgical proficiency. It's a cool job!

Would you suggest a call or an email? Also, should I wait until January to contact them or just send it now? I appreciate the advice.

I would probably e-mail them (holidays are coming up and a phone call may be viewed as pushy) but I would not wait until January. UNC interviews their final group in January and sends interview invites out soon; you'll want to be in that group. Other schools may have a similar protocol.

I would probably e-mail them (holidays are coming up and a phone call may be viewed as pushy) but I would not wait until January. UNC interviews their final group in January and sends interview invites out soon; you'll want to be in that group. Other schools may have a similar protocol.
Thanks, I sent an email to my state schools. Hopefully, it will give me a boost. Ugh, this process is stressful. Can't believe the impact one silly medical problem has had on my life, even years later. I hope the gauntlet is treating
you better. :)

My stat is very similar to yours and I got 7 interviews, 2 acceptances, 3 wait lists, and didn't go the other 2 interviews.
Check your personal statement again and see if there is anything wrong with it and I would call some of your top choice schools and find out what is going on.
Alas, if you are granted an interview, make sure you cover your weakness when you have chance to describe yourself. For me, it was lack of leadership on paper, so I had to speak firm but in non-abrasive manner. Good luck.

Is there a way that I can send you my personal statement? I think that it is quite good, but obviously I can't be an objective critic of my own writing. My weakness is certainly that GPA drop during the end of my college, but I need an interview to have a chance to explain it.

At this point, I'd probably go to an interview for the ISIS school of dentistry.

^Homeland security background checks and surveillance *triggered*, say hello to "random" pat downs at the airport

At this point, I'd probably go to an interview for the ISIS school of dentistry.
I'm not an expert myself, I went to career center located in my school several times, talking to different staffs to get it right. It's good to have feedback from many people as possible.