Do I stand a chance!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donvb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am taking the MCAT in two weeks and originally thought that I was going to do well, but I have realized the truth! I have studied my mind sore, and have put hours upon hours into studying, and I have improved but am stuck at a 21!! My goal was to get at least a 25, but I have taken two practice tests of 21... I have a 3.5 GPA, am involved in everything(community service, lab research, leadership, internship) but will an MCAT score of 21 keep me out of my dream of being an Osteopathic physician!?! I'm seriously fretting, wondering if I should apply to more schools(originally planning on 10).. Any input or thoughts about your guys' experience or what you've heard would be great! Thanks,
The scared one

Members don't see this ad.

Donvb said:
Hello all,
I am taking the MCAT in two weeks and originally thought that I was going to do well, but I have realized the truth! I have studied my mind sore, and have put hours upon hours into studying, and I have improved but am stuck at a 21!! My goal was to get at least a 25, but I have taken two practice tests of 21... I have a 3.5 GPA, am involved in everything(community service, lab research, leadership, internship) but will an MCAT score of 21 keep me out of my dream of being an Osteopathic physician!?! I'm seriously fretting, wondering if I should apply to more schools(originally planning on 10).. Any input or thoughts about your guys' experience or what you've heard would be great! Thanks,
The scared one

Due to the fact that you can take the MCAT in August and still apply this upcoming cycle, you should enroll in a MCAT course and study like crazy from now until August. The MCAT is too important and taking it in August is not that huge of a disadvantage. You can still apply to all of the schools in May / June and many will even send you secondaries before receiving your MCAT scores. I would apply to as many schools as you can afford to apply to.

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
Due to the fact that you can take the MCAT in August and still apply this upcoming cycle, you should enroll in a MCAT course and study like crazy from now until August. The MCAT is too important and taking it in August is not that huge of a disadvantage. You can still apply to all of the schools in May / June and many will even send you secondaries before receiving your MCAT scores. I would apply to as many schools as you can afford to apply to.

Exactly what you should do!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting married next MCAT time!! We planned our date/honeymoon and everything before we even thought about MCAT/Medical school... So taking it in August is out of the question...

Take it and see what happens. You can still apply with your score since DO schools look beyond your numbers. If you do get an interview, be prepared to answer why your MCAT score may be lower than your GPA would tell.

I got into OU-COM with a 21 on the MCAT and I applied really late (like my secondary arrived on the day it was due). I also have an interview at LECOM in a few weeks. So there's definately still hope.

However, my GPA is very high and I've had really excellent ECs, recommendations, and medical experiences, which I think played a huge role in my getting in. But take the MCAT and see what you get-you might surprise yourself. And apply early! Best of luck on the MCAT!!

You still have two weeks. Put everything in your life that you possibly can on hold and do as many problems and practice tests as is humanly possible. Don't get hung up on the numbers that you are getting--just work your hardest at answering as many questions correctly in the most efficient manner.

Find a way of approaching the problems that works for you. Take the test, and do the best that you possibly can.

Apply this cycle. If you do not get in, make sure you take more time next time to study--as you are kinda late in the game now to start worrying....if needed take a prep course (I know Kaplan gives a refund of your $$ of you do not improve the second time). Regardless of everything else, if you really want to get in--just don't give up.

Which section of the MCAT is giving you trouble? If it is all three you probably need to find a more efficient way to study. A 21 is very low but which practice tests are you taking? In my opinion, the online official MCAT practice tests are much more predicting of the real thing than Kaplan or any other and excellent practice, even if you only have a week left (I am not sure when the test is). Do one of the seven online tests a day and go over all the solutions and it may just boost you up a bit. Take the test and go from there, however, I think postponing a marriage which will be forever is better than waiting a whole year to start your career, which is also forever but takes 7+ years of training to accomplish. Good luck

A girl from my undergrad got into LECOM with either a 20 or 21. She had a really great personality. (it was funny, because the president of AED at my undergrad was a real a^$hole and he didn't get into any where -at least that I know of...he sure didn't brag if he did...he wasn't very happy-but had a 30 and a 3.9gpa)

Oh, and I was in a similar situation last year. I HAD to do well on the April MCAT because my honeymoon was during the August test. If people are getting into osteopathic schools with as low as a 20, you'll be fine.

hey! study and practice as much as you can until the day before the test, then RELAX! get a good night's sleep. when you take the test, remember to GO SLOW enough so you don't miss the easy questions. when i took my real MCAT i improved 3 pts from the highest score of any of my practice MCATs. sometimes the pressure of the real thing can actually work in your favor! good luck!