Do I still have a chance with a C in Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1147647

Hey all,

More than likely I will get a C in biochem this semester as I would have to be perfect to get a B. This is not due to lack of effort, my school is just notorious for having a difficult biochem program and I've had several other underlying circumstances. My stats up to this point are nothing extraordinary with a 3.75cGPA and 3.45sGPA (non-STEM major and non-traditional applicant) my extracurriculars are extremely strong as I'll have about 2000 clinical hours along with volunteering and research. I wanted to know if it'd be worth it to put a W on my transcript and retake biochem next semester or just let the process play out.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are sure that you would do much better next semester, you could take the W and try again. If you don’t think you can improve your grade much, it’s not worth it. Withdrawing from the course and taking it again and getting a C would not look good.

Reactions: 1 user
I had C’s in both orgo chems and just got my first A last week. You’ll be fine. If it really worries you then do the W - I have about 10 of those too and also getting through fine. They ask me about it in interviews and I have an answer prepped.

EDIT: Should clarify - A as in acceptance, not A as in grade lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I will mention that at 3.45 for sGPA, that is starting to get pretty low for MD admissions especially since that will take another hit with this C. I don't think I would withdraw either because there is no guarantee that you'll do better next semester, but you really need to delve into why you are struggling repeatedly in science courses. You're going to be asked that question when you interview.

With respect, I think you need to examine whether you are, in fact, putting in the requisite amount of effort to your studies. If you're accumulating such an excessive number of clinical hours, plus volunteering, plus research, I wonder how there is time left for studying and sleep. You mention that your school is "notorious for having a difficult biochem program and (you've) had several other underlying circumstances"... well, med school courses are notoriously difficult, and it's not like you won't have personal life drama during med school too. It is on you to figure out how to overcome these challenges, not explain why you couldn't.

All of those activities are nice, but the very first thing that a med school adcom will look at on your app is your GPA, and no amount of ECs is going to cover up a deficiency in underlying stats.

Wanted to give an update to this thread: wound up with a B after scoring 90th percentile on the ACS Biochem exam. I wanted to thank you all for the support and motivation to push through

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I had to repeat Biochem 2 and passed with a C the second time. Same deal, notoriously difficult class. Made it into DO school. Am a fine student.