Do I take the MCAT again? is so when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysticHealer

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's my delema. I took the MCAT in Aug. got 9 Verb, 11 Phys, 10 Bio. I'm currently a jounior. Is it best that i take it in april so that i can have my applications for the fall in on time? I'm looking into MD-PhD programs as well as the 3 osteopathic OD-PhD programs at UMDNJSOM and Chichago College of Osteopathy and who ever else has a DO-PhD. Any opinions on applying to both at the same time?
Thanks Mike

Members don't see this ad.

30 is actually pretty good for a MD program, however I'm not sure whether it is enough for a MD/phD program.

30 is ok...my roommate last year had straight 10's across the board but he still retook it to get a 33.

If you are doing md/phd..definitely retake it. When I retook my test..I saw this guy who I had met the previous time. We were talking and I asked him how he did on the test and why he was back here again. He had gotten a 34T and was retaking it. I was about to fall over cuz I couldn't believe he was taking it again! But he said he was applying to MD/PHD programs and he needed above that to get in...After the test, he said he felt he did a lot better...never found out what he got..but that's the caliber you are up against....
Hope your research is strong and you got some pubs. That's a major area lacking for me..My research is strong..however, our projects are so in depth I haven't gotten any pubs...

Members don't see this ad :)
Since your scores are decent, maybe you can look into schools that would allow you to apply, then after 1 year or so, apply to do a Ph.D also. Just a suggestion if you are worried that those scores may not be good enough for a joing program

I think it all depends on if you honestly think you can do better. Your scores are really good and will definitely be enough to get you into an MD school. If you don't have the time to re-study, I would suggest you not retake. But if you have the time and you really think you can do a lot better... and you feel up to it... go for it.
Congrats by the way :)

Yeah, the OP has a statistically pretty good chance of not improving his score on a retake.

Thanks for all of the imput. BU I got another quesiton. DO i try to cram in my MCAT studying along with my school work so that i can take it in April? or take my time and go for Aug. The thing is I wasn to apply for fall of 2003? Will the Aug score's arrival in oct mess up my application?
THANKS AGAIN
mike

Retaking a 30?!?! You should know that about 90% of people who took it would LOVE to have that score- don't be misled by the hyper-achieving sample here. If you want to go to Harvard, hopkins, etc as an MSTP, it'll be tough, but for many you'll make the interview cut when it comes down to research experience, et al. As to applying both do/phd and md/phd, it's just gonna be more work applying through the osteo version of AMCAS (forgot the name now) but is very much do-able. --Trek

No matter what score you have, 9's can be trouble. In my opinion, they just look bad... especially next to two double digit numbers. That's why I'm retaking... even though I have a 31, I have a 9 in Bio.

Shew, I did feel good that I got a 30, 9V,11P,10B and R with 17 hours of classes and still got all A's. I did feel proud of myself but it seems that some of you think otherwise in relation to the MCAT score. Ya'll must be really wanting to get into some TOP schools. I'm glad I stick to the underacheiving medical schools :D Oh well, everyone has different expectations for themselves in relation to their abilities. That MD/PhD program must be EXTREMELY competitive. Good luck to all of you, and 30 is great IMO :D.