DO if not MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO if not MD?

• I wanna be a real doc, so NO!!

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Sure, a doc is a doc, right? YES!!

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I think this is a stupid poll

Votes: 20 27.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sga814

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for people who are current MD students or applicants ONLY!!
DO-only applicants stay away!! (I've posted the exact opposite poll for you in the osteo forum)

Please be HONEST

Members don't see this ad.

id rather be a real doc than a drug-prescribing chiropractor thank you very much :thumbdown:

Slippery Pete said:
id rather be a real doc than a drug-prescribing chiropractor thank you very much :thumbdown:

since when are DO's "drug-prescribing chiropractors"? i've shadowed both MDs and DOs, applied to both types of schools, and after having done my research and properly understood what encompasses both types of medicine, i have an enormous amount of respect for both.

what have you learned about osteopathy that prompts you to label them as "drug-prescribing chiropractors"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Moze said:
since when are DO's "drug-prescribing chiropractors"? i've shadowed both MDs and DOs, applied to both types of schools, and after having done my research and properly understood what encompasses both types of medicine, i have an enormous amount of respect for both.

what have you learned about osteopathy that prompts you to label them as "drug-prescribing chiropractors"?

Moze, a DO will not compare to MD. DO are less qualified and I considered them to be subpar doctor. It's like comparing a 4 year university with a 2 year college. MD > DO.

You can argue that as long as they pass the board, DO are the same as MD. Not true. Do you consider a Hyundai car the same as a BMW?

xadmin said:
Moze, a DO will not compare to MD. They are less qualified and I considered them to be subpar doctor. It's like comparing a 4 year university with a 2 year college. MD > DO.

I resent that. MDs and DOs are on equal playing field. I highly respect both...a DO was my dad's physician and saved his life as a cardiothoracic surgeon....I applied to both types of medical schools and personally loved the philosophy better. I graduated from a highly ranked undergrad as well...those interviewing w/ me were from Tufts, Brown, BU, Uconn....So get a grip.

DO was not an option that appealed to me. If i hadnt gotten in, i would have went for PA

xadmin said:
Moze, a DO will not compare to MD. DO are less qualified and I considered them to be subpar doctor. It's like comparing a 4 year university with a 2 year college. MD > DO.

You can argue that as long as they pass the board, DO are the same as MD. Not true. Do you consider a Hyundai car the same as a BMW?

You are an idiot. It's the same four-year program; two years of basic sciences and two years of rotations. Basic science material never changes, and the clerkships are done at teaching hospitals. If a DO passes your boards, you don't consider them equivalent in training? Hah. OK, so I guess if an MD passes the USMLE's, they also are subpar doctors. This is what you're saying, isn't it?

Oh, by the way, if an MD ever tried to take the COMLEX, s/he would likely fail. Why, you ask? There is an additional component on it (OMM).

In all seriousness, I hope in four years I get to practice voodoo magic on you two so I can prove you right. Maybe you'll run the next time you see a D.O. then.

Status
Not open for further replies.