Are optional informational/Q&A sessions worthwhile? Will schools hold it against me if I do not attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highspeed983

Reaction score
A couple of the schools that offered me an interview also hold optional informational sessions throughout the season or a few days before my scheduled interview. Are these sessions worthwhile? Frankly, I don't even know what questions I have and I am eager to attend any school that accepts me. Is there a lot to gain from these sessions? Moreover, will schools notice that I do not attend these "optional" sessions and take it as I am not interested in attending?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They will not hold it against you. Your application shows that you're interested in attending the school, and their interview offer shows that they're interested in getting to know more about you.

Reactions: 1 users
Having organized such events:

1) If it is optional, not attending will not be "held against you", but it will be noticeable. I would recommend you DO attend, even if you wind up attending a later one. Some people cannot attend due to other conflicts in their schedule, which would include one's own studying for an important exam or a critical work shift.

2) If you attend, show up and be present. It won't be held against you if you decide you want your camera and microphone off, but you can't have them be off the entire time. We also will notice this.

3) Read Any Questions? What to Ask During Medical School Interviews - SDN .

ADDED: If anything, it could hurt your chances if you don't go (at some point) or you're not engaged when you attend; and if there is a benefit, it's for bonus points (the "plus factor").

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should always go imo. I know of at least one school that tracks attendance,

Unless you already have plenty of IIs, I wouldn’t risk it

Reactions: 1 users
A couple of the schools that offered me an interview also hold optional informational sessions throughout the season or a few days before my scheduled interview. Are these sessions worthwhile? Frankly, I don't even know what questions I have and I am eager to attend any school that accepts me. Is there a lot to gain from these sessions? Moreover, will schools notice that I do not attend these "optional" sessions and take it as I am not interested in attending?
Attending these events for sure will add to your knowledge of the programs and if attended prior to an interview could help you in the interview. They will give you more insight into the program and presumably more reasons why this program is right for you.

Furthermore, if you have multiple acceptances -- wouldn't that be great! -- the information you glean and the vibe you get may be valuable in choosing among programs.

Finally, on the margins and not for all schools, "demonstrated interest" is a factor. Obviously applying and attending interviews are great ways to demonstrate interest, but they are demonstrations of interest shared with all interviewees. Showing up at these events builds on that foundation of interest and differentiates you slightly from those who do not show up. If on the bubble, who will get waitlisted and who will get accepted? Those who show up or those who do not?

Hi OP. Generally it is good to go but not for "attendance" but to learn more about the school so 1) you can perform better on interviews (by mentioning what you learned at these sessions during your interview - thus showing your effort to learn about the school which demonstrates effort) and 2) so you can genuinely decide if this school is best for you!