DO in derm

Started by Bronte
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bronte

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there anyone who knows anything about osteopaths doing derm? Are allopathic residencies impossible? Should I even try? Does an osteopathic residency exist. Does any research count or does it have to be in derm specifically?
 
I briefly thought about derm myself...it is an EXTREMELY difficult residency to match in, even for allopathic students. There are only ~275 spots in the entire US, and something like only 1 in 2 allopathic applicants matches. On top of that, a good third of those who match have PhDs. It was enough to discourage me from applying!
 
In one of the match lists I saw, there was a DO that matched allo. derm. I would imagine this is quite a rarity. Also don't forget, there are a few DO derm programs around.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As the other two posted, Derm is uber-competitive, even for the best MD applicants...

However, I know of one, and from the grapevine, two or three more DOs that matched MD Derm this past Match season (2002-2003). It IS possible but i am sure that there were extraordinary reasons for a few DOs to grab MD Derm spots (i.e. incredible fellatio skills).

Q, DO
 
Uber competitive, just like the MD ones. I don't think there are many that are funded... I would say there are less than 20 spots nationwide (This is my guess!). With a few unfunded positions scattered here and there.

Q, DO