DO Interested in ortho - need guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chunkee Munkee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just started my second year at a newish osteopathic school. I've been recently introduced to the field of orthopedic surgery and I want to know what I should do to be a competitive applicant.

I didn't have the best time during my first. I think that I'm within the bottom 3rd/4th quartiles. I understand that I still have all of 2nd year and 3rd year to make this up, but I want to know if I've already hurt my competitiveness.

Also, how important is research? I'm currently working on 2 non-ortho case studies. Should I shift my focus to ortho-related research / studies?

Finally, With the step 1/ COMLEX 1 going P/F. Should I shift my focus on studying harder for STEP 2/ COMLEX 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm just started my second year at a newish osteopathic school. I've been recently introduced to the field of orthopedic surgery and I want to know what I should do to be a competitive applicant.

I didn't have the best time during my first. I think that I'm within the bottom 3rd/4th quartiles. I understand that I still have all of 2nd year and 3rd year to make this up, but I want to know if I've already hurt my competitiveness.

Also, how important is research? I'm currently working on 2 non-ortho case studies. Should I shift my focus to ortho-related research / studies?

Finally, With the step 1/ COMLEX 1 going P/F. Should I shift my focus on studying harder for STEP 2/ COMLEX 2?
Try and get to a higher quartile if you can, or at least don’t be in the bottom quartile. Having any research is good, but get some ortho research ASAP, with P/F step 1 you should have time to get stuff done. Absolutely crush step / level 2.

Reactions: 1 user

Reactions: 1 user