DO internship match get me kicked out of MD match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocLala

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but I'm hearing conflicting things and just wanted to make sure...

I'm a DO student and am applying for MD Neurology programs, but DO internships (dually accredited). I won't get kicked out of the MD match if I match for DO internships(PGY-1) will I? I know that I will get kicked out of the categorical Neurology programs (PGY1-4), but just wanted to make sure that I can still match into the advanced (PGY 2-3) year?

Thanx in advance and I apologize profusely about bringing this topic again...I'm slow.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that you will be kicked out of the MD match if you match a DO internship. If you want a DO internship you have to do so by contract outside of the match or scramble after the match. I'm 95% about this, so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but I'm hearing conflicting things and just wanted to make sure...

I'm a DO student and am applying for MD Neurology programs, but DO internships (dually accredited). I won't get kicked out of the MD match if I match for DO internships(PGY-1) will I? I know that I will get kicked out of the categorical Neurology programs (PGY1-4), but just wanted to make sure that I can still match into the advanced (PGY 2-3) year?

Thanx in advance and I apologize profusely about bringing this topic again...I'm slow.

If you match a DO internship, you'll be out of the MD match for any PGY1 positions. You will not be out of the match for positions that start as PGY2.

For official confirmation, you need to go to info from the NRMP itself.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's as you say. If you match for a DO intern year, you will be withdrawn from the categorical positions, but not for the advanced. Why would anyone apply for a DO intern year if that means sitting out an extra year for the advanced programs as well?

https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_matchprotocol#withdrawing

Withdrawing Matched Students from the NRMP

Students who are matched through the AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program and who also have registered to participate in the NRMP Main Match in the same year will have their AOA Match status communicated to the NRMP. The NRMP will automatically withdraw these matched students from that year's NRMP Main Match for concurrent programs. Specifically, a student who is matched in the 2008 AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program to a traditional rotating internship (OGME-1 only) will not be permitted to participate in the 2008 NRMP Main Match for a PGY-1 position. Also, a student who is matched in the 2008 AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program to a combined specialty program (OGME-1 and OGME-2) will not be permitted to participate in the 2008 NRMP Main Match for a PGY-1 or PGY-2 position.

You will get kicked for the PGY-1 programs, but you can still match for an advanced PGY-2