DO Internship Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazzadi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that there may be some changes to the osteopathic internship year. Has anyone heard hard facts? What states require an DO internship year? I would appreciate advice on integrating the internship year with your residency to avoid losing a year (especially if you want to do a specialty like ophthalmology, plastics, and orthopedics).

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that there may be some changes to the osteopathic internship year. Has anyone heard hard facts? What states require an DO internship year? I would appreciate advice on integrating the internship year with your residency to avoid losing a year (especially if you want to do a specialty like ophthalmology, plastics, and orthopedics).

West Virginia, Oklahoma, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Michigan require the osteopathic internship year:
https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_faq1

if you don't care to be licensed in these states, then i wouldn't worry about it

Many D.O.'s doing allopathic residencies can get their first year of residency approved as an internship year, i believe you have to submit some paper work for that. I'm not sure about any new changes. but that website link i posted has some good info for you to check out :)

What I've been trying to determine is this...If a person does a DO residency, is the first year always an internship year?

So, does this make something like an IM residency 4 years instead of 3?

The DO internship is integrated into many if not nearly all primary care DO residencies (FM, IM, Peds) meaning that it doesn't add any additional time. You look for internships that are linked, fast track, or special emphasis.