DO into allopathic NS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many DO’s applied for an MD Neurosurgery programsover the past few years? Is NS still pretty resistant to allowing DO into their (MD) programs?

I am sure mpp knows the answer. Thanks for the help and your knowledge mpp…..

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there was one DO who matched to MUSC in 2002 from PCOM. Not sure about how many applied or the historical data...

If I had to guess I'd say that allopathic PDs are still pretty resistant. There are several decent AOA neurosurgery programs out there (and plenty of crappy ones).

bob13 said:
Does anyone know how many DO’s applied for an MD Neurosurgery programsover the past few years? Is NS still pretty resistant to allowing DO into their (MD) programs?

I am sure mpp knows the answer. Thanks for the help and your knowledge mpp…..

Don't know about this past match (I did not know of any DOs on the interview trail but that doesn't mean there weren't any). As of 2005 there was one DO training in allopathic neurosurgery program (that includes all year of training).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks mpp (& careofme)!

Unfortunately, I am a DO considering NS, but I am limited by location (ie family). The only semi-close locations for me would be 3 Allopathic programs. I guess I will just aim high and see what happens????? wish me luck!!!

bob

There is an incredible DO Neurosurgery Program at Providence Hospital in Detroit. It is run by approx 12 MDs. It is run by ACGME/ABNS standards. Don't be confused, it has nothing to do with POH. They cover Sinia-Grace Neurotrauma 24/7 and Childrens Hospital. But almost everything is at Providence. And Providence is Building a NeuroInstitute. There is not a DO Program that compares.